Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lengthening a lined jacket sleeve

Posted by diane_tn (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 5, 10 at 16:33

I am recycling some lined suit jackets and the sleeves are to short for my liking now. I can not find my sewing book for altering the length of a lined sleeve. I know there is process to lengthen the sleeve by sewing lining and outside of jacket with the right sides of the jacket and lining facing together but I cannot figure it out now. It has been about seven years since I did any alternation sewing for myself.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate.
Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lengthening a lined jacket sleeve

Is the hem at the bottom of the jacket, open or sewed in--In other words can you access the sleeve to turn the jacket inside out. If you can it is a simple matter of undoing the sleeve, adding a piece to the lining and sewing the sleeve to it.

If not you will have to undo the hem or part of the hem and hand stitch it back after you do the alteration.

Before you do anything though I would see if you would have a line on the sleeve from where it was folded and pressed by pressing the sleeve bottom flat. If the line shows you could do a row or 2 of top stitching to cover it up or add braid after you do the aleration. If you add braid though you would have to do it somewhere else on the jacket too.

another option--You could just buy a long sleeved, uncuffed top to wear under it and let the sleeves of your top show at the bottom of the suit cuffs. This could work if it is a casual jacket.

I hope I've given you a few ideas. I'm sure others will be along to add to this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here