Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_tn

Lengthening a lined jacket sleeve

Diane_TN
14 years ago

I am recycling some lined suit jackets and the sleeves are to short for my liking now. I can not find my sewing book for altering the length of a lined sleeve. I know there is process to lengthen the sleeve by sewing lining and outside of jacket with the right sides of the jacket and lining facing together but I cannot figure it out now. It has been about seven years since I did any alternation sewing for myself.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate.

Diane

Comment (1)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Is the hem at the bottom of the jacket, open or sewed in--In other words can you access the sleeve to turn the jacket inside out. If you can it is a simple matter of undoing the sleeve, adding a piece to the lining and sewing the sleeve to it.

If not you will have to undo the hem or part of the hem and hand stitch it back after you do the alteration.

Before you do anything though I would see if you would have a line on the sleeve from where it was folded and pressed by pressing the sleeve bottom flat. If the line shows you could do a row or 2 of top stitching to cover it up or add braid after you do the aleration. If you add braid though you would have to do it somewhere else on the jacket too.

another option--You could just buy a long sleeved, uncuffed top to wear under it and let the sleeves of your top show at the bottom of the suit cuffs. This could work if it is a casual jacket.

I hope I've given you a few ideas. I'm sure others will be along to add to this.