Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What weight thread to use for home decor /drapery projects?

Posted by wijum (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 16:30

Hello,

I just bought a used Consew Upholstery sewing machine (206RB) and am trying to purchase the notions i will need. I am using the machine to make home decor items to sell locally. My old Viking could not hack the heavier weight upholstery fabrics I was using, but I will keep it to sew lighter weight fabrics. I am wondering what weight thread is used in mid to heavy weight drapery projects? Do you use the 69 weight upholstery thread, or is there something better to use? For those of you that sew drapes --what type of sewing machine do you use?
Thanks,
Wendy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What weight thread to use for home decor /drapery projects?

ok--so I guess either I asked a confusing question, or a stupid one. Could someone please explain thread sizes to me? I think I have figured out that the larger the number, the smaller the dinier of thread--at least where it applies to industrial machine thread? Is this right?
I hope this makes my question more clear. If not, at least this "thread" can drop off the front page now.
Thanks, Wendy

o

Hi Wendy,

I don't sew drapes but I do use #69 bonded nylon thread in my Juki industrial. It is a thick, very heavy weight thread. I have used it to sew bridles, saddle blankets, and such without having thread failures. It seems to me like it would be heavier than needed for drapes. It would certainly hold things together, but in places where you end up backstitching seams and such, there ends up being bulk.

I am planning to try the #33 bonded nylon thread for my medium duty projects. I think the #69 thread is overkill for anything I make except my heavy leather goods (which my machine can barely handle).

#33 bonded thread at SewTrue

Cheers,
Michelle

o

Hello Michelle,
Thanks for the link to sewtrue--nice site. I was wrong about the correlation of denier and number of thread. I finally found a good website that explained it all--Surperior threads. Anyway, think I will just try a smaller thread and see if it works --play around with the tension, etc.
Thanks for the reply, Wendy

o

Hi Wendy,

Post back when you settle on the type of thread to use. I am still experimenting with thread types myself. I wonder if a monofilament (clear) topthread and a bottom poly thread would work for some of your projects, where you didn't want the thread to show. The monofilament thread is tough stuff. I have used it for both horse tack and more recently for quilting. One of the first bridles I made is held together with monofilament, and I'm suprised it held, given the way I stitched it. :-) There is a lot of tension on a stiff, decorative overlay and the thread hasn't popped yet.

Cheers,
Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here