Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbunn_gw

How can I make a dress up tutu?

hbunn
18 years ago

I would like to make a tutu for my neice to wear when she plays dress up. The big fluffy princess tutus that I have seen cost more money than I am willing to spend. Can you tell me how I might make one? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (20)

• barker_tx
    18 years ago

do you mean like a ballerina? short but lots of layers of net....or something more like a fairy ....longer and not quite to 'fluffy'....what is your level of sewing? Carolyn

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

I would think you could buy a leotard or one-piece swimming suit (can you find one at a thrift store), and some tulle. Then cut the tulle into strips, gather one edge, and sew it to the leotard.

Or, make a tutu skirt w/ tulle; sew the tulle, in many rows, to a 4-inch-or-so band of fabric to wrap around the waist.

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

My grandaughter has one that is netting about 18 inches wide and I don't know how long it would be....but it is gather in the center and sewed to a narrow band (where it was gathered) and elastic is run through the band...She just slips it over a dance leotard

patti

• tutudiva
    16 years ago

There is a free site --- really it is where tutugirl stole her information from and now is trying to sell it!

You do not have to pay for it. And you do not have to buy it from someone that stole it to begin with. It is free and it is online.

How to Make a Ballet Tutu http://tutuinfo.com

This lady is not selling anything AND she answers your questions.

It will teach you to make an easy child's tutu OR a tutu for a prima:

How to Make a Ballet Tutu

http://tutuinfo.com

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make a Ballet Tutu

• cmc_97
    16 years ago

Tutu Girl products look like lots of tulle on an elastic waistband -- the tops are not part of the product, just the tulle skirts.

For what it's worth (I know this is not exactly what you were asking for), here's a link to instructions for an incredible 1950's style petticoat --- 48 yards of netting at the bottom edges. Perhaps there are some ideas here that you can borrow. Perhaps making the top two tiers really short, then gather on the last tier?

I looked at this and kept thinking: 48 yards of 1 inch satin ribbon. Wow!! How much will that cost in 2007 prices? But it sure looks great.

CMC

Here is a link that might be useful: Alice Lon super fluffy 1950s petticoats

• lauratimp
    16 years ago

I like the Tutu Store for buying tutus as they are cheaper than other boutique sites ($25 for a very full 15 inch tutu) and have lots to choose from. The tutu store link is www.tutustore.com. However, i did make an adorable ribbon tutu for my daughter by tying various lengths of ribbon to a pink hair band. It came out very cute. I also saw a pattern for a no sew tutu that tied lengths of tulle to a hair band but i found the tulle hard to cut evenly. Hope this helps:)

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I've made a few for my dolls and truthfully they are a pain in the but-insky...$25 sounds cheap to get out of dealing with all that tulle...ugh...it's not easy.

• joansews4u
    16 years ago

My daughter has taught her husband to make the no sew tutus. The nieces are so impressed that HE made them not her. It is a piece of elastic to fit the waist with ribbon on each end for tying a bow to fasten. The elastic is covered by tying lengths of tulle twice as long as you want it finished plus a couple of inches that will be in the knot. Just tie close together all way around the elastic. They use spools of tulle bought when Hobby lobby has it 50% off. My son-in-law says he doesn't like to make them because it takes a lot of tulle to make them nice & poofy.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

Wow what a fabulous idea...never heard of the no sew but it makes sense to me..

• loganhogan
    16 years ago

Here's a picture of the one's Warren made.
    Susan

• karina8
    16 years ago

Try www.angelbabestutus.com She sells the instructions as well as the supplies. Her tutus and costumes are the best I have seen yet.......

Here is a link that might be useful: AngelBabes Tutus

• my3babypeaches
    15 years ago

I second Tutu Girl. I believe they were the original seller of these types of instructions too. I bought them and they're great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutu Girl

• kathielo
    15 years ago

I happened to see a little girl in Target one day wearing one of these elastic band tutus. I asked the Mom where she got it and she too is making them herself.She was supposed to start a web site called Tutucute. but I haven't checked back on it. I really want to try to make them for my GD. I'll check out the site you all mentioned above. Thanks.

• jbleach
    15 years ago

My 2 year old has been wanting a tutu.
    I found this site and went to Hobby Lobby today and made one for her and her dolly for less than $5.00!!
    I tried to post a photo, so let's see if this works!

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/02/my_no_sew_tutu.html

Here is a link that might be useful: My No Sew Tutu Photo

• bostonpat_gw
    15 years ago

Check out YouTUBE - I found several tutorials for them!

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube Tutus

• tutudiva
    14 years ago
  • mybabies_26_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I recently found a great youtube video which redirected me to a great website to purchase ebooks on how to make tutus. I don't know how to sew yet, so I only purchased the non-sew guide. I hear the sewn guide is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btnHbKLj9A4&feature=related

Here is a link that might be useful: Crafty Guides

• eldor
    13 years ago

Hi there,

I would like to share a a YouTube video that contains a link of book how to make a Dress. I found this book useful just look at the link if You are interested.

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make a dress

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

here's a different approach, it's cheep. take some of that soft multi-strand rope that is used for curtain ties and that netting that comes in 3"or 4" wide rolls in the craft section at ???marts. tie the rope around the child's waist and cut. remove it from the child. Take netting strips twice as long as the desired length and feed them through the multi-strand and tie it. comb it down. do this until you have every available inch of the multi-strand covered. the tied on strips will hang like a grass skirt and be thick enough to cover most boo-boos. good luck.

• sykes_andrea40_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i would really love to make my own tutu and show you all what a tutu for the older girls really look like

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH