Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qmarker

Wanted-window seat guru's

qmarker
13 years ago

I sure could use advice from here. I just ordered foam to make a window seat cushion for my new condo/home. I have never made one but I'm game with a little friendly advice from this site.

Fabric is my first dilemma. The window seat is 100 inches long and as much as I'd love to do it in a black on white sharp graphic pattern, I am afraid that it might be too much for the room. So, I think what I'd like is a subdued fabric, something that looks 'faint' or faded like a shadow print. Floral or graphic or abstract. I am afraid to use a stripe for fear of not getting it lined up when it is stuffed and having crooked stripes.

Can you suggest a type of fabric(weight) that would work well for sewing on my old machine and just working with in general? Since this will be such a lengthy piece of foam to stuff, I am worried about a heavy upholstery fabric not cooperating with me. Will that be an issue?

Lastly, please give me your thoughts on using a zipper versus a long velcro closing. I honestly doubt if this window seat will get used as a seat very often if at all. But it sure would look lovely.

Thanks, Donna

Comments (7)

• blueberrier1
    13 years ago

Donna, a medium 'decorator' weight fabric would be fine for this little used cushion. This is a trade term and Joann's or Hancock uses it for goods. Many of these come with a protective/stain resistant finish.

What is the thickness and weight of your foam?

A few years ago, I made a pair of covers for a friend whose foam was 3" thick and over 100" long. For ease in removing the covers for an airing in the dryer or on a clothesline (she had indoor pets), I first covered the foam with a very thin, stretchy tricot knit fabric. You will not regret this step. This really helps maintain the integrity of the item. There is rarely misalignment after use. It is simply a lining.

This cushion was a box style with matching bias-cut fabric corded/welted edges. I sewed this on my 1939 Singer commercial machine. My 1976 Viking would sew this, as I have a cording foot for it and it is a tough machine. However, the Singer has a longer throat and is faster.

If you pursue this project and find your machine cannot handle the final stitching, ask around your area, and you may fine someone with a commercial machine who would stitch OVER your stitches for a reasonable fee. I suggest you consider placing an almost full length zipper in the center of the back side band. Your local upholsterer/commercial seamstress likely has spools of a compatible color zipper and would willingly sell you the length you need.

Lastly, to save money, it is not necessary for the bias welting to be on 45 deg. I have used a 30 deg and even non bias when folks brought me too little fabric to do otherwise.

One dtr discovered she had a window seat in her assigned dorm room and wanted cushions ASAP. I had some leftover mixed knit fabric and used it over tricot covered foam and made a 'sack' of the cover material and hand sewed the ends. After four years at college, those cushions are now what we use in the woodshop or upholstery area to pad our work.

Good luck and have fun!

• clt3
    13 years ago

www.upholster.com has excellent instructions for a box cushion. The first one I made was with a stripe fabric and I actually found it easier the keep everything straight by aligning the stripes. So if you want stripes, go for it.

• blueberrier1
    13 years ago

Donna,
    Forgot to mention that I sometimes wrap the foam with 3/4-1" thick poly fiber, before using the tricot cover.

• pris
    13 years ago

Also, check office or retail store supply places. I've seen counter high stools used in places like parts supply stores for clerks behind the counter. They have backs & seats much like secretarial chairs with rollers as well. I would think they would be much more comfortable than a bar stool.

• pris
    13 years ago

Whoa! Wrong thread. see link below. I really need to get my glasses changed.

Here is a link that might be useful: bar stool thread

• qmarker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much ladies for your ideas and expertise. My cushion will be 15" deep - 100" long - 4" thick. The foam is on the way to me via fedex.

I will look for a zipper to sew all along the back. I did think of something 'slippery' like tricot would help. I also read where someone used a plastic dry cleaners bag to stuff the foam and then removed it. That sounded like a plan for me.

I was not going to use the dacron wrap because I want the cushion to be sleek/ridging looking rather than soft looking?

Ok, I am not positive I want to do a welt yet. I think this cushion looks good either way? My mother who sewed a great deal always said welt makes it wear easier at the edge??? But this won't be used much, just eye-candy I think.

Now, I'm thinking I might just make a matching cornice. I have made many cornices out of builders styrofoam for my son's new home and they turned out georgeous. Also fun to do. Glued, not sewed.

Donna ps.. loved the bar stool idea!!

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

The welt cord stabilizes the cushion, preventing twisting of the cover. You really will want this. I don't care that it doesn't get much use, it not only makes the job look custom, it really does add strength and stability to the cushion.

DO wrap the foam in 1" thick dacron wrap. It won't make it "fluffy", but will fill out the cover nicely. You want this.

The tricot will help with stuffing it into the cover, but frankly stuffing any large foam cushion into a cover is roughly akin to pushing a dead elephant up the stairs, LOL. You just work it. I had a different method for stuffing, involving plastic sheets and a vacuum, when upholstering for hire, but it's probably not practical for your use.

I noticed your other thread on size. Please make ONE cushion. The zipper should go around the entire back and around the corners by about 4" each side.

I think two cushions will look "choppy", and have that "loving hands made at home" look. There IS a reason the upholsterer said one cushion.