Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Ever use a barstool and sew at countertop height?

laughablemoments
13 years ago

Hi there,

We have an opportunity to turn some kitchen cabinets and counters that are already installed into a sewing, craft and art supply area.

We're considering taking off some of the base cabinet doors so that we could set up a couple of sewing machine spots and have room for our legs underneath.

Has anyone sewn at counter top height? Is it comfortable? Have you been able to find the right bar stool to make it comfortable for longer work sessions?

I'd love to hear some insights into this idea! : )

Comments (6)

• clt3
    13 years ago

How would you reach the foot pedal?

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To reach the foot pedal, we could build a shelf or box to set it on inside the cabinet that would bring it up to the proper height. Or, DH just offered, "make it a knee pedal" attached to the side of the cab.

• lizzie2
    13 years ago

i like the knee pedal idea. i have ms and that would be so great.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Knee pedals are great, lizzie2. We had one in an old singer cabinet from DH's grandma that DH brought into our marriage. We got rid of it when I got tired of fighting with the aging machine. The pedal part was nice, though.

I have a friend whose granddaughter has spina bifida. She found an old knee pedal cabinet and the local sewing machine repairman retrofitted a machine into it for her. This lets her g-daughter sew!

I don't see why a foot pedal couldn't be attached to a table leg or board to let you sew more easily. HTH. : )

• pammiesue
    13 years ago

I did my daughters nursery at a counter height dining table. I had no problem reaching the foot pedal, although I would advise putting a no-slip or the foam shelf stuff to keep it where you want it. That was the only problem! It was so much nicer to cut on the island and table!
    I wish I had one just for that! I have always found that type of chair/stool more comfortable, (disc problem) and it really helps to get closer to the machine!

• Vonna Money
    3 years ago

What was your outcome? I’m wanting to do same. Do you have pictures?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor