Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jeans hem flips up and how to distress?

Posted by kelbelle9828 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 06 at 14:34

Jeans hem flips up and how can I "distress" hem area? Id love to find out how to hem jeans so that they dont flip up and would like any tips on distressing them (stonewashing, etc) to make them look like the original hem? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jeans hem flips up and how to distress?

Please explain flips up. Denim is going to do what ever it wants. To distress I've used a dremel tool with the sandpaper attachment. When I hem jeans I use a hammer to beat the seams. They go under the pressure foot alot easier and I use a "Jean a ma jig" or a hump jumper.

o

Im not quite sure what you mean by flip up, your talking about the hem themselves how they fold up while wearing them? If so, I DESPISE THAT TOO! I havent found a way to sew them so they dont do that but I make sure when I put my jeans in the dryer the hem is not already rolled up because the dryer sets it like that, you could always iorn if its persistant, otherwise I wash my jeans inside out regaurdless to prevent it fading the wash & whiskering.
As far as distressing them, go to your kitchen & grab the box grater, or a handheld one works too & just rub the denim along that, you can make little rips, big worn in areas, & even those big rips they seem to be selling jeans with them on the thighs & over pockets.

o

I've found that turning the jeans inside-out before putting them in the dryer helps keep the hems from turning up.

o

When I hem jeans, I trim away the seam edges that need to be turned under--always keeps them flat for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here