Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Can you ID thread problem?

dee_can1
13 years ago

Hi, I'm having a problem with my thread on my sewing machine. The machine was working fine, the last time I used it, I hemmed a pair of cordouroy pants. I'm re-hemming the pants because they were still too long, but now I'm getting a loop here and there on the underside of what I'm sewing (the bobbin thread I guess?).

I tried adjusting the tension up and down, and also used a little screwdriver to try to adjust the bobbin 'thingie' (the word escapes me). I'll include a photo (not the best photo but my camera isn't working so great either - lol). Can you tell me what to do - the thread shows a loop at the bottom, and it's happening at intervals along the hemline that I'm sewing on the pants (note: the below material is NOT the pants - ha).

I dislike tension problems because I don't know what I'm doing really - can't identify whether I need to tighten or loosen. Or, could it be the needle causing it - I changed the needle to a #16 before starting this job. Thank you.

Comments (4)

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Or, could it be the needle causing it - I changed the needle to a #16 before starting this job."

I was thinking, afterwards, this was silly question since I can just try a different needle and find out for myself - so please ignore that one.

I did some searching on the internet and apparently I should never have messed with the bobbin tension itself. Great.

• budster
    13 years ago

Don't worry you are like most of us and will try to fix or adjust our machines ourselves. Did the problem clear up when you went back to your original needle size? You also have to make sure the same problem happens on a different fabric and also consider the number of layers sewn through. I would just run your machine on a few scraps to see if you have a problem on them. Don't beat yourself up..we all tinker. Budster

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance Budster. I gave up trying to solve the problem for now because I started having problems with the presser foot lever and took the side panel off the machine to have a look - speaking of tinkering... lol. Anyway, lever problem resolved, but I'll tackle the thread looping problem tomorrow (I grow weary) by trying a different needle and materials, might even see if something needs cleaning in there (bobbin area)(but I don't think so). I'll report back if that works. Or not. : )

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update (good I hope): I noticed yesterday when I put in the new 'jeans' needle that it didn't seem to go all the way into the area where the flat side goes. But, I just pushed it up as far as it would go. So today I took the needle out and noticed that the top end seemed a bit bulkier than usual, so I threw the needle away.

I also cleaned inside the bobbin area, but it was pretty clean already so I don't think that was the problem. I put in a new needle (one that is made specifically for my machine, but it's not a #16 needle, I don't think), and all was well.

So I think the needle was the problem. I was worried that maybe I had somehow buggered up the machine by sewing through the thick areas at the hem (you know the seams where you need to use a hump-jumper?). But I don't think that was it.

Hopefully the problem is fixed. I appreciate your support Budster. : )

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz