Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

Broken machine. Any suggestions?

Hello! This is my first post on this forum, so I hope this is the correct place to post my question. Hopefully, someone can help me out.

I have a Brother SE-270D sewing/embroidery machine. It has only been used a handful of times for simple things, such as hemming pants. Frankly, I was a bit intimidated by it at first, because I have never used a machine with so many bells and whistles.

It worked wonderfully until a couple of months ago. It was the first time I had changed thread colors, so I followed the manual to properly thread the bobbin and the machine. Everything was done as the manual said.

I used an all purpose thread, which I've never had issues with, and the needle is for your run of the mill cotton fabric. I did a test run beforehand and that's when the issues started.

First, the thread looked normal on top, but the bottom thread broke. When I checked the underside, there were giant loops. Now, adjusting the tension was never something I was all that good at, so I usually end up fiddling with it until I get it to work. No amount of fiddling fixed the issue. No matter where I set the dial, there were still giant loops.

After a few tries, the machine would get jammed. There were still the loops, but now the bobbin thread was getting completely jammed around the bobbin itself. I had to go in and cut the thread out in the casing.

After about the second or third time that happened, the machine locked up completely and totally. When I push down with the foot petal, it makes a kind of 'errrrr' noise and nothing happens. The needle will move about an 1/8th of an inch and that's all.

I have re-threaded it too many times to count, wound a new bobbin, turned it off and on, changed the needle, investigated as far as I was comfortable with where the bobbin sits, and have completely changed threads. Nothing has worked.

Before I take it to a repair shop, I figured I'd post and see if anyone has any idea what could be wrong that I've missed. Thank you for reading!

Comments (10)

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

I'm not familiar with your machine, so can offer only generic suggestions.

You said this was the first time you've changed the thread -or did I mis read something?.

Here's the things I'd check. First I'd cut off the top thread at the spool and pull it from the needle. Then remove the bobbin. check both the upper thread path to see if any bits of thread have been caught esp between the tension discs. Check the bobbin area for any small loose threads. Have you cleaned the machine? Follow your manual and give it a good cleaning. If your manual says to oil it, give it sewing machine oil (nothing else).

Set the tension for whatever your manual says is "normal", wind a new bobbin, rethread and try again. If you are still getting big loops on the bottom, you can try calling your dealer for suggestions. I've done a fair amount of trouble shooting over the phone with my dealer.

Good luck - let us know what happens.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, this is the first time I've changed the thread on the machine. It was preloaded with white thread when I purchased it and that worked for my needs up until the thread change.

I have done all your suggestions, except for checking the upper thread path. I will do that and see what happens.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Make sure you have the bobbin in correctly also.I think you mentioned a bobbin case.if that's true,make sure it is seated correctly in it's place,and it usually makes a little click as it locks in.

It sounds like something is jammed(the noise it makes)

So do as the above poster said and check these things i've listed.

Don't use any oil UNLESS your manual says so,as some of the newer machines don't require it,mine doesn't.Good Luck and keep us informed.
    Kathi

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

I don't know your machine either, but here is what I would check. Make sure that your bobbin thread is in the bobbin case the right direction. When you pull the thread does the bobbin turn clockwise? If yes, then I would check the small screw in the bobbin case. If it is not tight enough then you might get loose looped threads. If you weren't having trouble before it most probably has to do with (1) the way it is threaded (2) the kind of thread (3) a wrong bobbin or (4) the screw is too loose.

• msbehavin
    16 years ago

I had the same problem years ago. I was told to always use the same thread in the needle and the bobbin. Also needle size should match you thread. Dump those cheap spools of thread. Remember to use ball point needles for stretch fabrics. Stick to a good name brand of thread and needles and I will bet your machine will be repaired. Be sure to closely inspect your machine for any strands of thread stuck anywhere and follow the threading directions to the letter.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Another suggestion~Make sure you lightly hold your botton and needle thread when you begin each seam, for a few stitches.

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, I'd go with all of the above. Also, Check to see if the needle is in correctly and not loose. Since it happened when you changed the thread and bobbin, I'd also guess that something is not threaded correctly, or there's some thread stripped off the spool caught in one on the things the thread goes through that prevents the thread from getting any upper tension. I've sewn thousands of miles on all kinds of machines for too many decades, and find that any kind of thread that the machine will run nicely on is fine, except CHEAP THREAD. I've mixed and matched different weights of thread in bobbin and top and never had an issue. If the thread is too large to fit through a particular needle, it will probably break often, not loop. Pull off the plate that's on top of the bobbin and check under it for thread gobs or lint. One time there was some junk under there on a big machine that I have and it caused the plate to shatter. If the machine is still jammed, turn the wheel back and forth gently till it gets loose or till the needle is up enough to pull off the plate.. The problem could be a ball of thread caught right there on top of the bobbin and sort of between the feed dogs. If there's thread stuck there, gently move the wheel back and forth again and work the thread out with a needle. You may want to remove the needle while doing this. Hope this helps. Linda

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

hi there! I have this machine and it sounds like the bobbin casing. It is pretty persnickety on this machine, make sure it is back in correctly and clicks into place. You will want to look at the manual, it does show a picture of it!

• dollmaker828
    16 years ago

I had the same problem with my Brother Disney 180D. Its timing, the repairman explained, was out between the bobbin and the needle. It was around $110 to get repaired! Ouch!

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

I have the same machine. I recently had mine cleaned when I had to have a repair done to it -- I had broken the button-hole lever (didn't know my own strength!). It was entirely my fault, but I did learn a few things.

The man also explained that I was using the wrong bobbin case. I had purchased a supply of some pre-threaded bobbins at Joann Store. However, that machine must use bobbin cases specifically for Brother machines. Not sure if that would make a difference with your problem, but it is one more thing to keep in mind. The correct bobbins were only a few bucks for a whole package of them.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner