Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blessedbe_gw

Ironing board

blessedbe
11 years ago

Hi there. I am brand new to the world of sewing. Took a Sewing 101 class at a local shop and have bought Sewing for Dummies (which I definitely fit into). I currently own an iron and a table top ironing board, but never ever use it. Fact is I HATE to iron. But I've finally admitted to myself that I'm going to have to get used to it if I'm going to sew.

I have a tiny house and am wondering how the experienced sewers feel about ironing board that fold out from doors. Are they effective or irritating when you're ironing a lot during sewing projects?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I have a free standing and good sized ironing board in my craft room. It depends on what you're sewing, but for hemming things like tablecloths where there's lots of yardage, a full size board is very helpful. But you can make do with a smaller one that folds out. You might also find a pressers ham helpful if you're doing dress making.

• jomuir
    11 years ago

I don't have any recommendation about flip-up vs. full-sized ironing board, but wanted to tell you, ironing clothes is a chore. Ironing as you sew is essential to good results. I iron constantly as I sew, rarely iron my completed clothes. Sometimes the only time they see an iron is when they're sewn...

AnneD is right about it depending on what you're sewing as far as what surface you iron on, but you're going to need to iron a lot if you want to get good results when you sew. (Says the lady w/a big padded dining room table she works & irons on lol)

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

I have one and I love it. It is out of the way and easy to drop down when I need it. I would not be without it..

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

If you don't have room for a full-size board, the drop-down is better than tabletop because you can get to both sides of the board, and you have more room under the board for the floppy material. Or get a door hanger for a full-sized board.

Also get a folding "sleeve board" for the tiny places, set-in sleeve seams and cuffs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sleeve board example

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

IMO, ironing while sewing is the fundamental factor in getting a professional vs. a "home made" look to the finished garment.

• mimi1947
    11 years ago

I'm going to be a fussbudget here and insist that we call it "pressing" instead of "ironing."

Good pressing technique is essential, as Annie points out. Properly done, you will use the tip of your iron to "press" heat into seams to set them, then press them open or to one side before joining to the next seam. In pressing, you don't usually slide the iron over the piece, you press and lift along the area. You always press as you go.

About a year ago I bought a clover mini iron. I don't know how I got along without that little gem for the last 40 years or so. I make many, many garments and it is one of my most useful tools now.

I have both a tabletop board and a full-size board in my sewing room and use both. If I had to, I could manage with only the tabletop, but I wouldn't like it.

Welcome to sewing. For me it.is a very satisfying and creative outlet.

Here is a link that might be useful: clover mini iron

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County