Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Help me understand this pattern please

dee_can1
14 years ago

I started my second project (ever), and may have picked a pattern that is too difficult. I found the first project a lot easier to do - probably because it came with an accompanying DVD that SHOWED me how to do things. Why can't they all do that? lol

Anyway, I might as well be reading the pattern in a foreign language because I do NOT get certain parts of it. Its a sewing machine cover, and IÂll link the pattern at the bottom, by the way.

I got the first couple of pieces cut out and marked (the front and back, and sides); but now IÂm trying to figure out the Âcat part, that I think gets attached to the front and maybe the back. The pattern piece is a square with cut-out lines and marking lines (----- that kind  lol) and then thereÂs the cat on the inside and it is marked in a solid line (marked 'placement line'). I'm not sure if that means I cut the cat out...

The main problem is, the writing on the piece (and itÂs labeled as #4) says this: "Front and Back A. Fabric: Cut 2. Contrast 7: Cut 3." OK, so this pattern piece is piece #4 and I understand the part where IÂm supposed to cut 2 pieces of fabric. But, I donÂt get the Contrast 7 part where IÂm supposed to cut 3. Three what? And, I canÂt find another pattern piece that is labeled as Contrast 7 Â so, is piece #4 also consider piece "Contrast 7"? I donÂt get it. And what am I supposed to cut Â3-ofÂ?

So, I search the pattern instructions, and they donÂt help a bit. Contrast 7A is (Lining and Applique Spools). It doesnÂt tell me what to use for the lining. And it says, "Use pieces 3, 4 & 6Â. I still donÂt get it  do 3, 4 & 6 constitute what is ÂContrast 7AÂ? Maybe I just donÂt understand what a ÂContrast is If you can understand why I'm confused, that is...

I would really appreciate advice.

Comments (33)

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have you ever applicade? It would be an easy thing to do. I have often looked at this pattern for myself. I may try to go in and buy one today. Joanns has the pattern on sale for .99. I will let you know later if they have it. I got a new sewing table for Christmas and I want a cover for my machine. Maybe this is just the right time..

Susie

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

This is a appliqued pattern. Look at the picture and go from there. It will help more than reading the words. First you will need the long piece that goes over the machine and the 2 end pieces. The end pieces show piping or cording and if you add that then sew it on the ends first, then attach them to the long piece by following your stitching line on the ends.

Before you do anything though you will have to applique the cat on to the front of the long piece. Look at the picture of the cat. It should be cut in another fabric--contrasting, you don't want it the same as the cover fabric. The cat may come in 1 or more pieces and you will only need 1 cat unless you want to put one on the back too, which I wouldn't advise. You will also need the 6 stripe pieces. If you have a patterned fabric you could skip the stripes and just pin the pattern pieces together and cut out the cat. All the pieces of the cat are sewn together first and then sewn on to the front of your cover. You might want to experiment with scraps and stitches before you go on to the real thing.

The lining can be cut out of cotton fabric and is used so you don't have seam lines on the inside. You will only need the 2 end pieces and the long piece that goes over the machine. You sew it together just like the cover minus applique and piping or cording. then you put it inside the cover with the seams of both pieces on the inside.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions I'll be around

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

From below your pattern--the one you posted. This is what the contrastin pieces are

Sewing Machine Cover A − 45" ***, 1/2 Yd.
    Contrast 1A (Side)
    18" x 121/2" Fabric Remnant
    Contrast 2A (Piping)
    45" ***, 1/8 Yd.
    Contrast 3A (Cat)
    11" x 11" Fabric Remnant
    Contrast 4A (Stripes)
    51/2" x 4" Fabric Remnant
    Contrast 5A (Nose)
    51/2" x 21/2" Fabric Remnant
    Contrast 6A (Spool)
    51/2" x 31/2" Fabric Remnant
    Contrast 7A (Lining and Applique Spools)
    45" ***, 7/8 Yd.
    Paper-backed Fusible Webbing A - 16" **, 1/2 Yd.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susie, no, I've never done Applique. I've barely done any sewing. That would be great if you got the pattern. You can talk me through it - photo demonstrations would be excellent. ; ) (j/k on the visual 'walk through' (sort of)).

Oilpainter - thank you so much for your explanations. I have to say I'm still not totally clear on what to do. I'm a complete beginner here - so, could you tell me what the '***' signifies? : P I'll go through everything you said again.

If I actually get this done, it will be a miracle. Something tells me my sewing machine will be w/o a cover for awhile. I'll definitely post if I have any more questions. And there will be more. lol

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

The *** is just a spacer so you won't get the figures confused.

This pattern with applique is a complicated pattern for a newbie. The confusion comes with the appilque. In looking over the supplies needed it also calls for embroidery floss so I'm wondering if the nose is embroidered not sewn. I also wondered what stitches you have on your machine to applique with.

The sewing machine cover is simply 3 or 4 pieces. 1 long piece for front and back--which may have a top, back and front and the 2 ends.

You may want to rethink your plan and buy a ready made applique that you can just sew on. The rest is fairly simple.

I just made a sewing machine cover for my DIL and I put a pocket across the front for her manual.

However these are just suggestions. If you want this one then go for it

• Dash2
    14 years ago

Don't worry about applique. Make your machine cover. Then cut out the cat design from the separate piece of fabric. Either hand embroider the face features, or cut features out of felt or fabric. Whatever you have on hand and whatever you're comfortable with. This is meant to be enjoyable, not rocket science.

Get lightweight, iron on bonding. Cut you cat design out of the iron on and iron it to the back of the cat design you cut from fabric. It should have a peel off backing. Peel it away, then place it on your cover where you want it and iron it on.

Now you can either do a simple zig-zag stitch around the outline, if you want to, so it has an appliqued look, or if you have a steady hand, you can use black fabric paint and do an outline around the cat design. If you don't feel comfortable doing either of those things, you can leave it alone.

The edges won't fray unless you put the cover in the washing machine. By the time you're ready to do that you should feel more confident in your skills and you can do a zig-zag or paint outline then - before it goes in the washer.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oilpainter - thanks for explaining the ***. : D I've got quite an array of stitches on the machine - I forget how many, though. I think I'm going to give the applique a whirl. I think.

yarnlover, I had to laugh - but you're right, it shouldn't be rocket science. So, I'm supposed to actually 'enjoy' this? lol Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely consider everyone's if I throw my hands up in frustration with the original pattern. I did make a tote bag before - it actually had a zipper and zigzag stitching. BUT, the pattern came with the machine, along with a DVD 'showing' me how to do it. I think I have an easier time learning when I see someone doing it. I'll link my tote bag thread, in case anyone is interested in seeing it. : P

• clt3
    14 years ago

The *** is not a spacer. It means whether or not you use fabric with a nap, like velvet or corduroy. On napped fabric pieces must all be laid the same direction.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

clt3 is correct that *** is not a "spacer", and it is essential to know that to lay out the fabric correctly in all sewing, whether garment or craft. You'll find *** on the backs of pattern envelopes.

If you use yarnlover's order of assembly, it will be much more difficult, if not impossible, to applique the cat. It will probably be quite unwieldly, at best, to do any iron-on applique or embroidery after the cover is assembled. I don't recommend it. Order of construction is essential, and is usually the easiest way.

The cat applique is supposed to be applied to the flat panel before the cover is assembled. Applique is always applied before construction of the garment or bag, or in this case, the cover.

I haven't seen the instructions. I hope you have good results and don't get too frustrated. Let us know how it goes.

Sherry

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

Dee, I went into Joanns and they were out of the pattern. I then went to Hobby Lobby and it was $12.00. To much for me to pay for a pattern when I can get it for .99. I am going to Indy tomorrow so I will try to get it then. I will let you know.

It is easy to applique. I took a class one time and it was so easy. It is just a narrow close zig zag stitch. You do need to practice one some scrape fabric first. If you don't want to do this, paint around it or leave it plain as others suggested.

I will let you know if I get the pattern.
    Maybe I could call you and we could go throught it together...

Susie

• msmarion
    14 years ago

Do you have a sewing book? You seem to be jumping in feet first...which is OK but with a book it will be much easier. I taught beginners for many years and recommended the Readers Digest Sewing book.
    One of the first things I would suggest you do is learn to read a pattern envelope. Then learn to read the instructions. New techniques can be referenced in a sewing book.
    I wish you luck with your project. And yes, it is fun and rewarding to sew.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

In this case I think *** is a spacer. I agree with those who say in a pattern it means with or without nap, but in that case there is 2 different amounts of material. There is only 1 here.

In this case it is also used for piping and there is no layout for piping. so why would they use *** for nap--it makes no sense. Also it is not used on all fabric called for for the applique.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Oilpainter, if you can provide something definite regarding *** and spacing, please do. Otherwise, the standard as printed on the backs of all commercial patterns for home sewing - Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick and Vogue - is as follows: * indicates without nap; ** indicates with nap; ***indicates with or without nap.

Fabric for piping is cut on the bias, without exception.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Sherrmann:

Do you think you are telling me something I don't know? I have been sewing for well over 50 years, I think I know how to read a pattern.

This was not printed on the pattern but below the posted pattern. I got it off the website that the OP posted. Did you even read where this was posted above. They have the same *** for piping as they have for fabric and some fabric has no * at all. That is why I think they are used as spacers. It calls for ready made piping so why the *'s

If you believe you are right and I am wrong then please explain every one of the * in that posting and why some fabrics have no * at all

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Ok I reread that post and it did say 1/8 of a yard of 45 inch fabric for piping so I'll give you this one--You are right.
    When I wrote that it was spacers it was the piping and the unmarked fabric that threw me off. How anyone could cut piping out of 1/8 of a yard though is beyond me. You haven't got enough fabric to cut anything on the diagonal.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the clarification on the ***, everyone. And Susie, I really appreciate your offer to call, but I couldnt ask that of you I live in Canada! : ) It was very sweet of you, though. I hope you get the pattern.

I put aside the sewing machine cover a few days ago... I have another project that Im trying to complete (with some frustration lol). I havent had a chance, really, to even get on the computer. I plan to post a separate topic asking about it.

Msmarion, I do have a sewing book (put out by Singer) and it wasnt much help really. Ill keep my eye out for the readers digest one. Thanks for the suggestion.

If/when I finish the sewing machine cover, Ill post a photo.

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

Dee, I went to Indy and they were out of the pattern, too. I went back into Hobby Lobby today and they were out... Darn... Don't beat yourself up that you can't figure it out. Some patterns are hard to figure out. I am going to get the pattern when they restock. The lady said to just keep checking.

Susie

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A light bulb finally went on in my head - and I think I 'get it'! A little google search on applique didn't hurt either...

Anyway, I got the applique pieces cut out, and ready to transfer onto the fabric. I probably didn't need all the markings on the cat seeing as I'm going to be peeling away the paper, but it's a learning process.

Here are the applique pieces. Hopefully I'll be showing a photo of the finished cover soon. Unless I run into a road block. lol

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and no, a long-lost Aunt who can sew didn't show up on my doorstep today. lol

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Terrific! Enjoy the process, dee. I can't wait to see the finished product! Yay, Dee!

Sherry

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

Gee, maybe I will be asking you for help when I get the pattern.. I am sure it will look fantastic when you get it all done...

Susie

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*breathe in... breathe out* lol I'm getting there (with a few glitches along the way). Ripping out 'things' occasionally. I'm actually having to hand sew some of it which is hindering the process (but I am enjoying it). ; ) I'm thinking I bought the wrong embroidery floss - it's really thin so I have to sew many lines to make it look 'thick' like it does on the pattern photo.

Thanks for the encouragement Sherry and Susie! I'm taking photos as I go. : D Just thought I'd throw in a little cliff hanger, of sorts...

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Thanks for the cliffhanger!

Try doubling (or tripling) the embroidery thread through a large-eyed needle. I like hand embroidery, but don't do a lot of it.

Sherry

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

Dee, I have sewed for almost 50 years and I still have to rip out things from time to time.. Just enjoy what you are doing.. When you are done, stand back and take a look and I bet you will like what you see. We all have to start somewhere...

I bought my 7 year old grandaughter a sewing machine last year for Christmas and she is loving it like her grandma. She even made some teachers gifts for this christmas. Boy, was she ever proud of herself.

My youngest daughter is "NOT" a sewer but one time she tried to make me a fleece poncho. She finally gave it to me and it was a little loopsided. But, she tried. We both laughed... What a wonderful memory.. My oldest daughter sews like her momma. She can make anything.. No matter what I am a proud momma...

Don't hesitate to ask any of us for help.. That is why we are here. We all have good hints to pass along.. As you see we don't always agree on the answer but that is ok, too.

Susie

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ill start near the beginning (minus the cutting out of pattern pieces, although that in itself was an ordeal since I realized as I went along that I hadn't cut out all the pieces required...). I hate to bore the experienced sewers, but there may be people out there learning, like me. : )

I had no idea that I was going to have to hand-sew anything. lol. Oh, how naïve. I mean, when looking at the pattern in the store, how did I figure those spools of thread were going to magically 'get the thread on them? So imagine my surprise when the pattern instructions told me to baste. You want me to what? The only thing Ive ever basted before was a turkey.

Then I had to trace the cat out on the fabric. That was do-able.

Then I put the appliqué cut-out onto the fabric and ironed it on (Ill spare you the ironing part). (The cat in the photo below was not in its correct place yet, by the way.) I peeled off the paper the next day, and presto it looked like a cat! Wow.

Then, I applied the things that went onto the cat. I actually enjoyed the whole process of applique, and look forward to doing it again. I found out I have an applique stitch on my machine, so I used that around the cat and the spools. I used straight stitch on the nose and stripes.

Then oh then, I had to put the embroidery thread onto the spools. I went to bed that night with only one spool finished, and I woke up at 3 am and couldnt sleep, so I did the other two in bed. Later on, I would find that the threads are very delicate and would have to repair two of the spools. I just tied any broken threads into knots near the surface of the spools, and you cant really tell. I doubt they would survive the washing machine. I also did the whiskers that was enjoyable (really)! And the buttons. I have at least 500 buttons now bought two bags-o-buttons. But, I digress.

Then came time to add the back of the cover. The cat seems to be looking up at it wondering, wussup?

Then came the piping. I know someone had mentioned using fabric cut on the bias, but I missed it the first time since I was so confused about everything. I followed the pattern instructions (and the pattern piece) and it didnt mention anything about cutting on the bias. So, I didnt. When I googled sewing in piping, it mentioned it there, too. So, by now I was concerned the piping wouldnt work correctly.

I had minimal problems making the piping I used the zipper foot because my selection of feet is minimal. It did the job, though although not perfect. I figured the unevenness of my stitching would be hidden in the end any way (and it was/is). But, it was sewing in the piping onto the sides, front and back that gave me a huge headache. I tried the zipper foot it wouldnt work. The piping was almost ½", and it was just too big for the zipper foot to handle. Mainly, I couldnt get the stitches close enough to the piping, so it just didnt work. I ripped it out at least 4 or 5 times before I gave up and decided to HAND SEW (gasp!) the piping in on both sides of the cover, and then I hand-sewed the sides to the front and back. Oh the inhumanity. My hand-sewing is nothing to write home about, believe me, but you cant really tell from the outside. And, I was so delirious by the time I got the sides attached, that I ended up cutting some of the piping TOO SHORT because I read the diagram incorrectly (or the diagram was confusing). I came up with a fix by cutting out small pieces of matching piping fabric, and patching up two of the ends.

You can see where I added on some piping fabric:

By this time, after appliquéing, sewing teensy threads onto spools, sewing in piping; making the liner was a day at the beach. That went smoothly and without incident. Thanks to the internet, I was able to figure out how to get the lining into the cover. I admit, it took me a few minutes to understand how putting the cover *into* the lining will eventually lead to the lining being inside the cover. *confused for minute or two*

Then after I got the lining in, I figured, ah, now all I have to do is sew the bottom, and Im finished!. Uh, no. I had to slip stitch. : / Slip stitch? What is that? And why cant I just skip that part? But, I knew better. For some reason they wanted me to slip stitch, so I did. More hand-sewing. That turned out ok, though. Then I finally sewed the topstitching on the bottom of the outside. There were a few tense moments when I doubted my foot could get over the piping humps, but with a little pushing and pulling, and flattening, I got it done. And on my sewing machine. Now I'm going to make another one. : )

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just noticed your posts Sherry and Susie - I was a tad excited about getting my photos up. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips - yeah... about the embroidery thread - good tip. I'll try doubling/tripling it next time - it will save quite a bit of work.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

dee what a fantastic job! this is actually quite advanced for a beginner what you have done and you did a great job of it, your sewing machine covers looks wonderful I love it.

congratulations girly!

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Well, you did it! It's adorable! And you're going to make another one - Good for you! Nice work, Dee.

Sherry

• Dash2
    14 years ago

If your machine can make buttonholes, the you can change the needle position. You'd use your zipper foot, then turn the dial where the buttonholes are marked, turn it so that the needle comes down right of center. That gives you enough room to stitch your piping onto the main portion of the cover.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you trancegemini and Sherry. Im really happy with it. I already started the second one; oh, and Sherry, Im using your tip to triple the thread (I went for quadrupling! lol) and its working just great. Really cuts the work, plus, I find it looks better.

Yarnlover, my machine does make buttonholes, so Ill try your tip for the piping this time. Thanks very much.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    14 years ago

Congrats! That looks adorable. Good for you, sticking to it and getting it done.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Very nice job. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Sue

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your comments, Chris and Sue. : ) I'm glad you liked the photos, too.

I've since done a gajillion pot holders and oven mitts. I'm trying to perfect the art of applying bias tape. And making bias tape. I'm now thinking of what my next project will be. If I don't burn out. lol