Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

Name these feet...

dee_can1
14 years ago

I think I've been using the wrong foot all along for doing straight stitch. Eek. The way I found out is that the oven mitts I'm working on calls for a zigzag stitch at the seam on the inside. So, I looked up zigzag stitch in my manual (specifically for what the foot looks like), and it looks like I've actually had the zigzag foot on already.

I looked at the diagrams for the 'feet' in the manual, and it's hard to make out what I have. I definitely don't have a straight stitch foot (can you believe that?). First to clarify, is it the 'straight stitch foot' that I'm supposed to be using for (uh) 'straight stitch' - lol - seems logical, right?

A couple that I have are easily identifiable, but I'm not totally sure what these are. Can you tell me? Note, the foot I've been using for straight stitch is 'B', which I think is the zigzag foot. : P

Thank you.

Comments (12)

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Note: For 'B' in the photo, I actually meant to write, 'zigzag' not 'zipper'.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

A--is the zig zag foot but you can use it for most straight stitching too
    B-- is the straight stitch foot
    I'm not sure what C is.
    A zipper foot is 1 solid foot with a half moon cut out for the needle on each side. It can be moved from one side of the needle to the other

• noinwi
    14 years ago

B is a general purpose foot that can be used for straight or zig-zag. Check out Vacuumfreak's previous post for a pic of a straight-stitch foot.

Here is a link that might be useful: foot discussion

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to both of you. Oilpainter, I think A. can be used for zigzag - also other decorative stitches. It's one of a couple of feet in the manual with that diagonal line it in. I'm pretty sure I know what 'C' is now - I 'think' it's the button hole foot. I even think I used it last year just a couple of times, but I totally forgot what it was. My memory can be pretty bad.

noinwi, That must be why I didn't get a straight stitch foot with the machine because 'B' is for both. I just ordered a straight stitch foot, just to see if there's a difference when I sew. $2.99, can't go wrong. Thanks for the link, too.

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Dee, over the years I've only used the straight-stitch foot for fabrics that would get pushed down into the feed-dogs no matter what adjustment or needle I had in, while using the general purpose foot. I also used it in the early days for zippers before I had a machine with a zipper foot. But if you get one, don't forget to take it off before you switch your stitch to zig-zag, LOL, I've broken a few needles that way!

• kathyg_in_mi
    14 years ago

C is not the buttonhole foot! It is to sew on buttons. The blue plastic "arms" part of it helps to hold the button in one place. The arms would be facing you when on the machine. I love to sew buttons on with my machine.
    Kathy G in MI

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

A&B could be considered zigzag or satin stitch feet, the width of the opening is a different size.
    C is to sew buttons on clothing.

They are listed on the same site I gave you on above post.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

noinwi - lol - I'll try to remember not to switch to zigzag when I'm using the straight stitch foot! I was switching back and forth between straight and zigzag stitch yesterday with the zigzag foot on the machine, and it sure was convenient.

OK, re: C - it's for sewing on buttons. I just saw 'button' in the manual, and I thought 'foot'. I have a long 'thing' (foot, I think) for putting in the button holes. I see the difference now - thanks for pointing that out, Kathy and Patti.

Patti, I'm not sure what site you mean.

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Dee, ROFL thought I left another post on this check site aout below. Patti

Here is a link that might be useful: Presser Feet

• barb_roselover_in
    14 years ago

I have lost the beginner's kit that came with my Kenmore Embroidery machine involving the feet, etc. What can I do to get a replacement kit? Our local Sears store has no one working with sewing machines that know what they are doing, and they have very few machines. I think they must be phasing out that department. If you have any ideas, please give me a hint. - Barb

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol Patti... that's a great site to actually see what the feet look like. I love looking at feet, and other sewing notions. I could linger in the fabric store all day, I think.

Barb, here in Canada, I go to the Sears website, and at the bottom of the main page, they have "Parts and Repair" (or something like that) listed as a separate link. And when you click on that link, you can get the toll-free number to call to order parts. Usually you just need your machine model number.

Ah, ok, I just looked at Sears.com (the US site) and at the bottom of the page it has the 800 number for part orders. Here it is: 1-800-366-PART. If that doesn't work for you, here's the number for Home Services & Repairs 1-800-4-MY-HOME.

I hate to ramble, but the funny thing is, when I call the Parts Dept. for Sears in Canada, they don't have the model number for my Kenmore machine. *confused* It's only a year and a half old, so I can't figure that out. But, luckily I have the manual, and that lists the part numbers for what I want. Although I don't have a complete list of their presser feet for their sewing machines.

• dee_can1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just thought I'd mention that I got the straight stitch foot yesterday. I'm not liking it as much as the 'all-purpose' foot for both straight stitch and zigzag, however. I find the ss foot doesn't press down on the fabric enough and so the fabric slides a bit when I sew. I'm having to wrestle with the fabric to keep the lines straight. So go figure.

Kind of funny, though? I forgot the straight stitch foot was on and switched over to zigzag at one point yesterday. Oops. Luckily I didn't force anything, and realized that the machine wouldn't work because the needle was sitting on top of the ss foot instead of in the fabric. I'm curious whether this would dull the needle enough that I should change it?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022