Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to shorten pants

Posted by puffysmom (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 11:30

HI. I know how to except for certain ones. I have a pair now that has been laying around since before Christmas. The problem is the difference in the size around. How do u shorten pants so u dont have to compensate for the difference in length and u dont end up with puckers in the hem. I have been doing a search online and all I can find is basic hemming. The only thing I can think of is taking some material and adding it to the width so it matches but have never done this and not sure how to go about it. Can anyone here help me?
Thanks so very much. I hope I explained this decent. I know I am not the only one with a tapered pair of pants legs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to shorten pants

after you cut them with the correct hem length you can take little snips is the bottom and create pleats so that the wider part matches the narrow part when the hem is turned up. or you can "ease" the width into the narrow part. You always want to do careful pressing before you sew because that;s how you get rid of the extra width. It's the same concept used for setting a sleeve or inserting a waist band.

o

You can clip the seams that join the front to the back. This will give you more room. Just be sure to reinforce them so the whole seam doesn't unravel.

o

I cut about a 1/2" snip in the center fornt, and let the "V" spread for more room.

Or you can take in the pant leg from the hem up a couple inches, and then taper back to the original seam.

o

OR -

If your taper is extra wide (remember bell bottoms) you can cut your pants to length plus seam allowance and face with matching bias cut fabric or bias tape in a color to match. For a smaller taper, I found that easing with a run of gathering stitches worked better for me but any of the above will work nicely.

o
RE: How to shorten the waist band of pants

i have these pants that when i wear them i have to fold the waist band over so the crotch won't hang so low how can i take up the pant from the waist band

o

you simply "taper" the seams as needed. IF the very bottom is too wide, you start up just 2 or 3 inches tapering each side in just a little so that it fits. IF the bottom is too narrow to go up right... you start up about 2 in or so and let the seams out so that it's larger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here