Return to the Sewing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toddler pattern sizes

Posted by donnar57 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 11:20

I found some really cute fabric and want to make my granddaughter, who lives 1800 miles away, a dress and pinafore (and then a matching dress and pinafore for her favorite doll). Her mama tells me that she wears a size 2T in ready-made clothing.

Does anyone know what measurements are used for ready-made 2T? I could then go to my patterns and pick out the right size to use in a pattern.

My granddaughter LOVES Tinkerbell, so the fabric is a green Tink print. The pinafore will be white, from my stash. I hope to be able to locate Tinkerbell tights for her to wear under it, or at least create a "diaper cover" to match either the dress or the pinafore.

The pattern came from my stash. I seem to recall my daughters wearing dresses from the pattern, so the pattern is a standard toddler dress pattern from the late 80s. I can still buy similar patterns from Simplicity today, so I'm glad to say that toddler dresses haven't changed all that much.

I can't wait to start this little dress!!!!! Any help on the sizing would be appreciated, since my daughter can't seem to find any of the 3 tape measures I've given for her over the past 5 years.

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toddler pattern sizes

http://pattern.stringcodes.com/size-std.html

Didn't know how to highlight it so that you can click on it, but you can copy and paste. It says:

2T:
Chest: 20 1/2
Waist: 20
Hip: 20 3/4

o

I would do a size 3. I have 6 little granddaughters I sew for. I would rather have it a little big then too small. I have found their age goes pretty close to the size of the pattern. My 4 and 5 year olds are wearing a size 5. Hope this helps.

o

I finally heard from my daughter -- granddaughter has a 20" chest, which is perfect for the 2T. I am in the midst of this beautiful dress now, but had to interrupt it to sew some costumes. (5 pairs of pirate "gaiters" and now a long skirt and blouse - Treasure Island.)

Donna

o

Have fun. All 6 of my granddaughters have birthdays from the 17th of February to the 24th of April. So I do need to get started. They love sundresses. I have a couple super easy and quick patterns I use. I found the same sundress pattern that I made for my girls when they were little on eBay. Talk about fun..

o

I'm very fortunate, or crazy, depending on how you want to look at it. I still have almost every pattern I ever used for my daughters when they were little, and my mom just handed me patterns that she had used for them, too. (She no longer had the ones she used for me as a little girl, because of a big move we'd made when I was 12. I still have the teenaged-me patterns, though. Those are FUNNY, from the 70s!)

Checking today's patterns for toddlers, they haven't changed that much -- except for the prices!!!!!!

Donna

o

You are so right. I am lucky to have a Joann's and a Hobby Lobby within 25 miles.Between the 2 patterns are on sale for 99 cents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sewing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here