Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hallngarden

does anyone remember

hallngarden
14 years ago

Hopefully I can describe what I am trying to find. Back in the sixties, when I would make a dress, would take a straight piece of material that was one fourth yard and make a scarf . This was folded some way that it would be bias sewing. Think it would end up being a tube to put over your head and attach a pin to keep it in place. Was looking at mobius scarves online to see if anything came to mind. The only thing that I know for sure was the one fourth yard of material. Thanking you in advance if anything comes to mind with you sewers. Hopefully I have described what I remember about the sewing. I have taken a fourth of yard and tried to play around trying to figure out how in the world this was sewn. You would make your dress in a solid color, and buy the other fourth of a yard as an accent scarf.

Comments (7)

• pattiohio
    14 years ago

Hmmmmmmm? Could you mean a version of a Cowl collar?

Is it like any of the pictures in site below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowl Neck Scarf

• hallngarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks patti, that is a wonderful site for someone like me that loves scarves. One of the knitted scarves was about the same size as the one made with material.

• grittymitts
    14 years ago

Have been thinking about those too Patti & used to make them a lot.

As I recall (hope this is right) you fold one end over to make a 45 degree angle, stitched nearly to end of
    folded portion, raised needle to lift top fabric in order to swing it around to edge just sewn. Continued with
    same step until you came to end.
    Turned right side out & slipped one end into the other & blind stitched by hand to finish.

Clear as mud or does it make sense to you??? Kinda'
    like trying to tell how to make a lined vest finished
    by pulling all thru a small opening in an inner side
    seam.

Used to do it but might take some real thought these days; some sewing methods, once second nature, roam around in my mind daring me to catch them.

Suzi

• hallngarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gritty, you jarred this old brain. Think if I try another piece, can figure it out. Do you think I am correct in remembering the one fourth yard of material. If you only knew how much time in a day I spend chasing my mind. As I have gotten older, simple sews work for me. Plan on making just some solid color , simple cotton dresses for summer, and the scarf would be enough to add pizazz. Thanks for contributing to this posting.

• nanny98
    14 years ago

Grittymitts has given the instructions that I know and it is also a great way to make a lot of bias to use as binding without sewing together all thosse mitered pieces. Good luck. Nanny

• bobbiw2
    14 years ago

Wow, I am interested in these too. I can remember my mom making these for me. My "outfits" had to coordinate, you know?
    Now, I would like to make these for my grandkids, and I am afraid that I just can't picture what I am supposed to do. Could one of you ladies possibly draw a diagram for this old granny brain? I would be truly thankful!

• hallngarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bobbiw2, I was going to take a scrap of material and try this again, but honestly haven't had time. I made these back in the 60's, and this old brain has a time some days trying to remember to back when. Hope I remember the 1/4 yard, as the correct amount, Nine inches wide seems narrow , but I remember the scarves as being very narrow. Goodness you would think I could find 15 minutes to try this scarf. Grittymitts gave the instructions that I think I remember. If anyone gives it a whirl before I do, let us know the results.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm