Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

What are you working on?

ruthieg__tx
10 years ago

Trying to help get the Sewing Forum more active and thought it might be nice if we discussed what we are working on. I am wrapping up Christmas gifts....yes Christmas....

Our family was so spread out at Christmas time that we just decided to postpone getting together until January. So we are having our Christmas exchange this weekend and I have been working on gifts.

I did buy two really pretty pieces of fabric this week for Mobius scarves...I probably won't get them made for this year but I couldn't pass up the fabric.

Comments (15)

• susie53_gw
    10 years ago

I am getting started on my granddaughter's sundresses. Their birthdays start soon. I have 6 of them that have their birthday within 8 weeks of each other.. Lots of fun. They love me to make them. There are so many quick easy patterns now. I usually make several at a time..

• donnar57
    10 years ago

I didn't make anything for Christmas this year -- haven't for years, really. However, I AM working on something for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday, coming up in a little more than 2 weeks.

She LOVES Tinkerbell. I found some Tinkerbell fabric at Wal-Mart, in cotton, and am making her a size 2T winter dress for church. The pattern came from my 12-box stash, one of those "design your own dress" patterns that were so popular years ago. (I think my mom had made several dresses for MY girls from this pattern, in size 4 and 5, back in the '90s.) So the bodice is the Tink fabric, with long sleeves that are puffy and elasticized at the wrist. The skirt, which has yet to be attached to the bodice, is white cotton, gathered. It will be very full! I took some of the leftover Tink fabric and created a matching band that goes around the skirt a little above the hem. It has a Tink diaper cover, already finished, as this child has NO interest in potty-training yet. If it's still cold (they live in the Midwest), daughter can substitute white tights for the diaper cover.

I found a ribbon with Tink all over it, also at Wal-Mart, but haven't decided what to do with that yet -- maybe a little headband.

There was enough fabric leftover to do a dolly dress for her Cabbage Patch doll (GD has one of her mommy's old CP dolls). I've cut that out, but not started sewing it. Gotta get going!

Donna

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Just shortened some curtains,i had ordered the wrong length,but instead of sendng them back,i just cut them off and shortened them myself.
    Kathi

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Hemming and patching my levis ... really exciting.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

I finished up a back door curtain and a curtain with matching fabric for the combination downstairs laundry room and half bath. I need to get inspired and sew something else. I love reading about what all of you are sewing on.

Sue

• mothertee
    10 years ago

Making my 9 granddaughters Night gowns for Valentine's day. they range from size 2 thur jr.size 12

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

I made a little pink doll blanket today, lined it with quilt batting. Will give it to my Granddaughter for her birthday this month.

Sue

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Today I sewed up a couple bibs and burp pads for our newest great grandson.I had cut them all out a few weeks ago,then got busy doing other things and kinda forgot about them.
    Kathhi

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I'm waiting on velvet fabric (that I ordered online) to arrive.
    Hopefully, this weekend I'll be sewing a few velvet pillows for the living room.

After the pillows are done, I'll narrow down the fabric choice for bedroom drapery (to be lined with blackout). My plan is to have the drapes done by the end of this month.

I like hearing what all of you are working on : )
    Ruthie - thanks for starting this post. Sometimes it works out better for our family to alter holiday or birthday get-togethers, too.

• susie53_gw
    10 years ago

I have been sewing some apron tops. I like to have some on hand for gifts. I am getting ready to start sewing for my granddaughters birthday. I am making her a couple sundresses, an apron for her and her doll and maybe if I can I will make a nightgown for her. I better get busy...

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Still hemming and patching levis ... I had a huge stack of them and I need gardening and construction pants.

Will be making some pillow covers soon, and slipcovers for the mismatched couch/chair combo.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Laurie08: Where did you buy the velvet from? I am never sure what kind (?) of velvet to buy--cotton velvet, silk velvet. Thanks.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I agree with you...velvet has several forms/content. I still don't know all about it, but ordering swatches has helped me.

My local Jo Ann's fabric store has a limited selection and it seems a little stretchy to me...like it's meant for apparel & not for pillows. I did see a nice thick velvet sample in their special order section. That type would be good for upholstery.

About a year ago I purchased 100% cotton velvet made by Duralee. It was for accent pillows in my FR. I liked the shade of gray and I liked the feel of 100% cotton. I washed the sample and hung to dry & there was no shrinkage : ) This 100% cotton velvet has what I would describe as a very short nap with no shine. If you rub your hand across it, you won't see a change in texture.

The current pillows that I want to make for the LR are going to be Duralee 100% polyester velvet. This velvet has a nap, shine, & what I describe as a "crushed" texture. Once again, I washed the sample and no shrinkage/change. I'm still waiting for this fabric to be delivered (hopefully tomorrow). I would have liked the cotton velvet in this room as well, but the color I wanted (Robin's Egg) was not available in the cotton. As it turns out, a little shine & crushed texture in these pillows may be good for this room.

I've ordered swatches from various places online. One that I've recently used and like (for swatches) is Inside Fabrics. For the gray velvet, I ordered the yardage from Fabric Carolina because (at the time) their price was best, no tax, & low ship $.
    This time, I went with Angel Fabrics.

Below, I've posted a link to Duralee for their Velvet info. My gray velvet is from their "Logan" line. The Robin's Egg velvet is from their "Greenport" line. I've not had any swatches or experience with silk velvet, yet.

Here is the Robin's Egg (polyester) velvet swatch on top of the gray (cotton) velvet. Both pics are of the same swatch. Depending on the angle, the polyester velvet looks darker or lighter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duralee Velvet

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

I just started sewing on a sun dress for my soon to be 3 year old Granddaughter's birthday. It is out of pink flowered Tutti Frutti. I may make the matching hat that is with the pattern. I hope I can start sewing more.

Sue in Snowy Central Indiana

• donnar57
    10 years ago

I finally finished the Tinkerbell dress for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday this week. It has a coordinating (but not fully matching) dolly dress. Her mama is supposed to take a picture of her in the dress, with her dolly, when she wears it.

Granddaughter's dress: Green Tink print long-sleeved bodice with a square neckline, full white skirt with a band of the green Tink print just above the hem all the way around. Green Tink print for the diaper cover as well. It's meant to be a church dress.

Dolly's dress: Green Tink print for both bodice and skirt. White panties (made from an old white sheet, I admit!).

Granddaughter is also getting a pair of purple sneakers with hot pink accents -- but not to go with the dress. Just because she needs purple sneakers! :-)

I tried to find Tink tights, but had no luck.

Donna

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?