Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowermum_gw

Walmart---no more fabric?

flowermum
17 years ago

I visited my local Walmart yesterday and their entire fabric department was gone!

I was told Walmart is getting rid of their fabric department, anything that has to be cut.

I was so disappointed.

The only saving grace for me is that I was told that two other local Walmarts would continue to sell their fabrics for the next three years.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Walmarts or heard anything about this?

Comments (28)

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Every forum i go to these days,that is a subject being discussed.Seems some stores are going to get rid of it,some stores are going to go to selling it in flatfold pieces of 3 yds per piece.

They're supposedly going to be bringing in more party type supplies,like we need those and don't have enough of those kinds of stores around already. Give me a break.

We have 3 wal marts close to me so i don't know who will and who won't carry the fabric.Like everything else,it's a wait and see.
    Kathi

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

Mine is loosing the dept and that's why I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore. My neurotic dogs will only eat ORoy's Kibbles, chunks and chews or catfood and at this point I'm willing to feed them catfood to keep my ban on Wal-Mart. Once Target opened here in July I shop there for my usual Wally purchases. I was going to Wally for dogfood and fabric. My store will have a "celebration" dept, what a neat concept, there's only 3 party supply places here. All I can say is Thank God we have a Hobby Lobby now along with Hancock's and Joann's is 70 miles away.
    Susan in Central Alabama

• flowermum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Kathi, I didn't know Walmart had made this decision. Gardenweb is the only forum I frequent and I was unaware of this decision.

Loganhogan, the fabric department was the motivator that drove me to Walmart anxiously. I would be so excited at the prospect of what new items may have arrived.

I would go there specifically for the fabrics and then wander through the store purchasing other items. Now because the fabric department has left, I no longer feel compelled to go there anymore.

Going to Walmart was never just a typical visit to the store, it was an "experience" (for me).

I wonder if these are the little things and changes that may be the undoing of this hugely successful enterprise. I know Walmart is currently very successful, but they're changing what has always worked, and in my opinion, that's potentially a huge mistake.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Flowermum,
    Our walmart also took out the humming bird feeders and food.They still have wild bird food ,but no longer carry the hummer stuff.DH and i spent one Sunday going to all 3 wal marts this summer looking for the feeders and none of them had them.So i came home and emailed them and got back one of their stinky old form letters,saying it was a corporate decision.Then i got phone calls from all 3 of the stores i went to,and they all said they had had many dissappointed customers because of corporates decision and they were working on trying to get it changed.So far it hasn't happened,but we'll see this summer.

Kathi

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I asked the clerks in My Walmart today and they said they got the word that most of the stores would be discontinuing the fabrics. they are still getting them in but they didn't know for how long.

• joansews4u
    17 years ago

The manager here goes to church with us. I asked him about it when I heard about the pre-cut options some stores were going to. He denied anything only telling me if he had his choice it would be gone. I asked my daughter awhile back if he & his wife seemed like they were avoding her too at church.

If they can't deal with it maybe they can make it one of their lease depts...like photo, vision, hair salons & etc.

• colleenny
    17 years ago

This has been happening over the last few months. Many of the Walmarts are getting rid of their fabric departments or only selling fabric is premeasured length. They do not have the foresight to realize that fabric buyers spend a lot of money and they will be losing business. Colleen

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

The clerk that I talked to the day after Christmas had the impression that every Wal-Mart would eventually phase out the dept. She said our store is being re-modeled in Feb and it has to all be gone by then. I thought it was odd that day that on the $2 table that had V'day and St Pat's fabric. She said she thought it was their last shipment of fabric.
    The mgr might be avoiding me at church cause I give him the evil eye (kidding). I noticed he was gone more the month of Dec and his wife even indicated that she was frustrated with the changes.
    Susan

• flowermum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'll take Kathi's lead and email corporate just to let my voice be heard. I know it's all done and over, but I'm still going to let them know how I feel about this decision.

: )

• liza070831
    17 years ago

Because of the all the frustrations listed above I have not shopped locally for fabric and yarn in years. It all started when Ben Franklin did away with their needlepoint yarn- it is nowhere to be found in our area. I find the selection of material on line is more complete and cheaper than anything I can buy locally. Most companies have a good return policy if you really don't like what they send you.

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

I agree with flowermum about e-mailing complaints to Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters...look what the Chinese accomplished by e-mailing Toy 'r Us to protest company's failure to award prize to the New Year's baby whose Mother was not in this country legally. $25,000!

Joined voices ARE heard.

Suzi

• willworkforflowers
    17 years ago

Well shoot! I was going to post a link to a petition to save Walmart fabric stores, but the spam filter thought I was advertising and won't post it. Just know there is an effort aloft to save the fabric stores.

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

I received an email several months ago about this. It gave an address which to send an email and incouraged me to do so....I did.

I don't have the address anymore...but I'm sure you can type in WalMart and find one.

Fill their mailboxes with email complaining about it. I just might help.

patti

• imsewhappy
    17 years ago

Ladies and Gents(?)~

I am behind you! I vow to shop Target if Walmart continues on this line. Whatever happened to the made in America slogan? When Sam Walton died, this company started on a quality down hill slide. I am about fed up with it! They by things made from what amounts to slave labor and then push it off on us as the thing to buy. I may just have to open my own fabric store!!! The nearest full line fabric store to me is a 40 min. ride. (Like I have time to waste) I guess those of us in this hobby just do not matter to Wal-mart. I wonder if we could launch a boycott of some type?

I sound militant, don't I? LOL I am ill! :)

• yardnut_z8
    17 years ago

when WM moved in our town we lost K mart and Ben franklin
    and a small fabric shop. now all the WM here are closing
    the fabric departs.we travel 50 miles to Hancocks. 50% of
    there store is home decor. itams and tons of fleese. I
    live in SC on the coast. I e-mailed WM and they send out a form letter saying they are putting in party supplies.I
    do more sewing than partying.
    Yardnut in SC

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

Yardnut,
    Amen to the more sewing than partying! I'm so happy that a hobby lobby opened here in the fall. Friday I drove 70 miles (one way)to Joann for the MLK sale and the mgr asked me as he rang up my 250.00 purchase "are you opening a store", I wanted to tell him to bite me. But instead I explained that I had drove 70 miles and wouldn't come back to April when they have the buttercup sale.
    Susan

• kristinahand
    17 years ago

I used to sell Hyman-Hendler specialty fabrics to Wal-Mart in the West Coast and Midwest. Some of you customers might remember our program: china silk, bridal satin, organza, crushed velvet, fem lace, etc. My job was basically obsolete due to this decision. I know first hand from outstanding department managers and satisfied customers that these departments ARE or WERE very important to communites. They were the only part of Wal-Mart I agreed with! I have lost my job becuase they want a celebration section?? Its ridiculous. What about people who actually use fabric for everyday living and are still keeping cultural and family traditions alive. What about little girls who want to be creative and learn to sew from their mom or grandmother, but might not afford expensive fabric now. Now they can hopefully learn how to decorate a party perhaps. I'm glad that the Indian nations, for example, will have "Party" supplies not velvet for their ceremonies. I'm sure they are thrilled they will have to travel hundreds of miles to source velvet. Or what about communities in Utah whose familes are making all of their clothing from wedding dresses to pajamas. Its crap. I won't ever go to Wal-Mart again. At least one voice is louder than none.

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

I emailed Wally and got that goofey form letter back about their "celebration" dept. Anyhow, I added up that I did spend about 7500.00 a year at Wally's. About 100 a week on groceries, etc and 150 a month on fabric, etc. If just 10 of my peers here (local) boycott them that's $75,000 a yr loss. If you multiple that by the 3000 and some odd people on that online petition that's a lot of JACK to be lost. Susan

• evaf555
    17 years ago

I hardly ever buy fabric from Wallies. Most of it is pretty lousy. The only time I have a substantial amount of it in my home is when there is a community theater project going. I doubt our two or three productions a year will make or break Walmart.

The same goes, actually, for Joann's. The fabric there is more expensive, but except for home dec, there's hardly a natural fiber to be found.

Making clothing is more expensive than buying it, and has been for years. I'd only want to make something I can't buy. See "natural fiber" comment above. (Those communities in Utah are seriously misguided! if they really are sewing that much)

So-Fro fabrics went out of business by refusing to admit that the days of garment sewing were virtually over. They continued to sell garment quality linens, silks, and wools, while Joann's sold junk and became wildly successful. Our Joann's has as much floor space devoted to candy, lawn ornaments, and plastic dishes as fabric. One wag has commmented that the Joann's, Etc. name stood for Joann's, Experience The C**p.

For all those abandoning Wallies for Target: actually, Walmart is changing to be specifically more like Target. Walmart's sales are backsliding, and the surveys say: people want wider aisles, more attractive, fashionable, merchandise (less stodgy, less utilitarian) Hmmm...sounds like...Target.

I replaced a zippers in jackets yesterday at work, three or four of them. At least two of the jackets were made in Bangladesh, and one of those two was from LL Bean. A lot of companies who used to proudly tout their merchandise as "made in America" have begun to quietly do otherwise. Since American worker won't sew for twenty-five cents an hour, and since the people who ask me to sew for them are shocked! shocked! at what I charge per hour, I don't see a quick fix.

• imsewhappy
    17 years ago

Evaf, I use walmart primarily for my notions, muslins and fleece. My Walmart does tend to carry some decent fabrics such as Imperial broad and such. I have clients that just want cute play clothes for their hard to fit child or something a little bit different. No, sewing is not the be all and do all it was in yesteryear but it does mean alot to some. Take the elderly who like to dabble but just are not able to drive 30-50 miles to find fabric.

I agree this country is selling itself overseas. The sad thing is that the majority of things any of us own are made elsewhere. Until we stand up and demand a change, we will continue to be sold out.

Yes people are shocked at what we charge until they are taught to see the difference in quality. I take it upon myself to provide that education.

I guess time will tell if people are more interested in ease of life than quality of life. we can get cheap things easy or better things at more expense and trouble.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

• ggks
    17 years ago

Would someone please post a number that all of us can use to email walmart of our disatisfaction . Something I can just click on. ggks

• momashaw
    17 years ago

Well, I sent Wally World my 2 cents, I'll probably get back the same as everyone else. My DH would rather I shop else where anyway. Removing the fabric dept will make his wish come true, we'll just have to drive farther for things we need.

Wal-mart has followed suit with every other merchandiser - squander your own country and support another.

Not all who wander are lost

• clueless1959
    17 years ago

Yes my local Walfart store is doing the same thing. I'm so P'O'ed over it. I just bought a sewing machine there last Thursday it's going back to the store. That's $200.00 purchase that they get back. When I'm asked the reason for returning the machine I'm going to flat tell them WITHOUT the FABRIC I HAVE NO USE FOR THEIR MACHINE.

As far as never shopping my local WALFART store again well that would be cutting my nose off in spite my face as unforetunatly the WALFART store is my only store for 30 miles in any direction. Which makes it all the more stupid that the store is not going to carry any fabric that has to be measured as this area has a LOT of die hard seamstresses and quilters. This walfart is the only store I mean the only store for miles. There are not any other stores for miles period. It will make it very hard on those who has shopped Walfart for fabric.

I don't know to many ppl who wants 3 yrds of every type of fabric they buy.

Also those premeasured fabrics aren't usually marked as to what kind of fabric they are and many ppl can't tell cotton from polyester by the feel of it.

Just another reason for me to keep callin walmart the walfart store. That's puttin it mildly!

• flowermum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Clueless, you are soooo funny!

Walfart...I have never heard that one before.

Yes, I'm sure I won't eliminate 100% of my shopping there either because they are only a few minutes away. However, I have chosen to limit my shopping at Walmart strictly to necessities.

I have decided to not shop Walmart for any "pleasure" items such as home decor, electronics, toys, etc.

• loganhogan
    17 years ago

Well,
    I've sucessfully made it 1 month and 3 days without setting foot in Big Wally's House. I'm dying to go look because my uncle told my Mother that the fabric dept is "gone".
    Susan

• sewforangels
    17 years ago

I have contacted the company about the changes in the sewing department. I was told by workers at Walmart that public voice might make a difference. I have counted on my local store often for sewing needs. I now often travel an hour or more to find fabric at another shop

• jayokie
    17 years ago

I e-mailed & wrote snail-mail when I first heard of WM dropping fabric thru this forum. Got back the generic email other rec'd and NO response to the mailed letter. Later I heard somewhere - don't remember where - that Corporate was beginning to reconsider. Maybe the public will manage to get thru thick heads....we can hope!

• dw1127_sccoast_net
    13 years ago

do you carry lace at walmart?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz