Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scrapbook party etiquette

Posted by jill6718 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 16:59

I am only an occasional scrapbook gal, so I was wondering if those of you with more experience could help me out here. I was invited to a birthday party by a friend. It was her birthday and the party was at her house. She is very much into scrapbooking (sp?) and said that would be the theme of the party and to bring some photos.

Upon arrival we found out we were expected to pay for the priviledge to participate in her party to cover the costs of the 'professional' in attendance. Of course, items were then for sale at the end of the presentation. I have been to those parties before, but am I out of line to have expected the hostess to pick up the tab? Everyone had brough her a present and no one was informed there would be a fee ahead of time. It is certainly not a question of finances, trust me. Am I being too critical?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scrapbook party etiquette

No you are not being too critical, after all, you were invited to wish here Happy Birthday, not a scrap booking party, which is entirely different. I probably would have said, I just droped in to wish you HB--then left. I cannot imagine paying for the person ( and I assume) she wanted you to buy "her" items. This person was very rude, after all gifts/cards and now money!!

o

Oooooh, I'd be so annoyed when I realized what was going on. But I've never been one to respond to insults quickly or with wit, so probably would have done just what you did--endure it and seethe inside.

She was way out of line. I'm sure you've thought of ways you SHOULD HAVE handled it by now, but it's too late (like taking your gift back with you when you left).

Lesson learned, I guess.

o

Sounds like this was a scrapbook class? similar to the type that Creative Memories does. Guests are invited to a class where they pay @10 to attend. They bring their own photos and are provided supplies to assemble a page. The fee covers the cost of the supplies the demonstrator provides. It is all fair. But....... to invite friends to a birthday party that turns out to be a "class" without informing the guest ahead of time is way out of line in my opinion. I am surprised the guests were not informed about the real thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here