Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for starting up

Posted by MarieND (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 23:42

My DD and I went to a scrap booking party today, and of course we have great ideas and want to buy lots of stuff. I already have some items, some from QVC, others from where ever I see something unusual.
My question is
Do you get a better quality from a person doing the party, a craft store, dollar store, etc.
/Also we will be sharing many items.
Where can you get the new acrylic stamps with the changeable things? We used them at the party and they are so easy. Also the double sided cleaner pad was great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for starting up

I am not a scrapbook expert, but I am learning slowly but surely...my best advice to anyone that wants to dive into scrapbooking is to look for alternative things that can be used to create the same effects that the very expensive products produce. Many items bought at a dollar store work just as well, and as long as they are acid free and lignin free, there will be no problem with your pages. The other bit of advice I have is to look at all things in terms of how they could be scrapbooked - for instance, wrapping paper comes in many wonderful colors and styles, and if you don't feel comfortable using a picture or design from a piece of wrapping paper directly on a scrapbook page, glue the wrapping paper die cut or whatever you want to use onto a piece of "official" scrapbook paper and mount that on your page. Alternately, you could scan or take a pic of the wrapping paper that you want and print it onto scrapbook friendly paper. The other thing with wrapping paper is often there is a co-ordinating gift tag and envelope that can be transformed into a beautiful tag or journal spot for your page.
Another item to look at differently if you are becoming a scrapbooker is gift bags - often they come with a great little gift tag, and sometimes embellishments that can be incorporated into the page. Regular buttons come in wonderful designs, if they have a shank you can snap it off, plain wood buttons can be painted to match your page.
If you have Polymer Clay, you can make words that will be 3-D on your page, or you can make embellishments by making a little mold of any item and then making sets of the design. Mount these on scrapbook friendly paper and you have an original and unique page.
I don't mind buying quality, but I object to buying an item that is labelled "Scrapbook" when I can find the same item as a generic product that works equally well, and sometimes better. Most of the dollar stores are catching on to this and are only buying Acid and Lignin free stickers and all other scrapbook products.

o

One thing that I have been looking into is using the internet for printable ideas and such. One site is www.scrapbookscrapbook.com there are tons of sets free for downloading.

Stacie

o

I went to Meijers today and bought a sticker maker, sorry don't remember the name. I went through the Paint Department and picked up some beautiful wallpaper swatches to use. I wanted to buy some clasps (don't know the scrapbooking term). The colored ones were $4.99. I went to the Office Supplies area and bought a package for $1.99 which I know can be colored with a Sharpie!

o

There are many places to get scrapping and stamping supplies. You can spend as much or as little as you want to. Some of my favorite places are Home Improvement stores as you can find creative ways to use paint chips or counter top chips. The dollar stores often have a lot of great things.

As for those acrylic stamps you can get them from several places but I love Close To My Heart stamps. They are easy to use and clean and that counts a lot to me!

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here