Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for a Christmas gift

Posted by JoyceKY (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 01 at 16:55

I really know very little about scrapbooking so I'm looking to those who do for help.

I would like to buy my daughter-in-law material to start a scrapbook. She expressed an interest in this sometime ago as a way to pull their photos together while the kids are still young and before she forgets.

I've looked through things at the stores but it seems that things to buy all have a theme of some kind. Are there some general things.

What would you suggest I buy to get her started--from scrap book to all the other things she might need to get started.

Thanks in advance

Joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for a Christmas gift

First of all buy her a scrapbook and maybe some extra pages...then..maybe a good scrapbooking magazine...some plain papers in different colors and a good paper cutter...they have them for 8 x ll l/2 sheets and for the 12 x 12 sheets. I like the bigger one best...you can use it for the small sheets, too. I don't know how much you want to spend, but that should get her started...these things are a must to start out...not the magazine, maybe, but I have a subscription to a good one and use it quite often for ideas when I'm stuck...

o

Check in your area and see if there are scrapbook classes available and if so get her a gift cert. for a couple of them, that way she can learn how and figure out what items she likes to use before she purchases them, since often the instructor will let you use their punches, scissors, etc. there in class. Love Penny P.s. I hope you both get hooked, it makes for good family time.
P.s. There are also larger kits available reasonablily prices often on QVC. Love Penny

o

Thanks for the advice. It seems I can buy her just some basics to get started and perhaps a gift certificate that she can use either to buy additional materials or put toward a class. It probably will be hard for her to take a class right now. She works in a metropolitan area but lives about 45 minutes away with two boys (7 and 2) to take care of when she gets home. Her husband (my son) helps but unfortunately not as much as I think he should. I wish they had not moved out away so I could help take care of them more.

Sorry, this is really off the subject. I'll look into both of your suggestions and see what I can do.

Thanks again.

Joyce

o

Joyce,
You could buy her also some scissor that cut cute designs from Michael or even the "Dollar Tree" if you are lucky to find them there.

Also you might want to check out the cable station "DIY (Do it Yourself Network...owned by the folks that have the Home and Garden station) They have a show every week on scrapbooking and tell all kinds of information and projects. I did a search and turned up numerous projects and ideas on scrapbooking at the website. Just use this address when searching the internet Diynet.com When you get to the page look on the left and you will find a search retangular book with a large arrow pointing to it type in the word scrapbooking and click on the arrow. Like I said before you will find numerous project and ideas on scrapbooking. A lot like taking a scrapbooking class. You could copy these articles and include them along with your Christmas present of the Scrapbook and perhaps scissors and whatever else you were going to get pertaining to scrapbooking. I know the pages would be appreciated.
~Lynn~

o

Thanks Lynn. I did a search last night and found a couple of sites; but I didn't think about printing them. It's a great idea and I think I'll do that. We get HGTV but we don't get DIY. I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea.

Joyce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here