Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Scrapbooker

Posted by lawmar (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 10, 06 at 13:58

Hi. My name is Mary and I am just beginning to take a serious look at scrapbooking. I usually hang out over at the knitting forum, but want a craft that I can do with my sister, who is a new empty nester and needs to find a hobby. I told her I would enjoy doing scrapbooking with her since it looked like fun. What type of book (scrapbook) do you recommend that we get and what kind of supplies should we have to start with? Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Scrapbooker

I think if you're just starting out and have no supplies at all, a few things to start off would be:

a paper trimmer
adhesives
maybe a variety of colored cardstock
and a variety of patterned papers (specific to the photos you want to scrapbook)
a variety of embellishments (brads, some ribbon/fibers, buttons, things of that nature)

I would probably recommend a post bound 12x12 scrapbook. They can be purchased at any store that sells scrapbook supplies, including Michaels, Joanns Fabrics, Walmart, Target.

o

I am partial to the K & Co books (Joann's/Michaels. Oh and Target has a derivitive of K&Co, I think it is Kay). They are great quality and nice designs with coordinating paper and stickers. I also like the 12x12 "leather" albums from CostCo.

For just getting started, I agree with Steph about what to get:
Paper trimmer (I like the 12" Fiskars slicer)
Adhesives (I like the "splits"--little square stickers in a box)
Cardstock and patterned papers
Circle Cutter (mine is Cre@tive Memor!es)
Pens for journaling.

I love to scrapbook but I have been so busy I haven't worked on my books in almost 2 years. Hoping to get back into it soon. Good luck!

o

I'd also recommend small ink pads such as the Cat's eye ones in brown and black to start. These are used to ink around cardstock for an added dimension.

o

When I first started out I used three ring binders with acid-free 8.5 x 11 page protectors from Office Max. You can buy a box of 50 for under $10.00 and with the three ring binders you can rearrange the pages much easier.
Good luck.
sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here