Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idea I have for my Granny Book

Posted by Granny2shoes (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 02 at 19:39

I have been saving e-mails and other writings when I think of them for a while and have some good memories. I am going to print these out and put in a scrapbook. If I have a picture to go with it, all well and good, if not, that's fine too. My main thing is the writing up of the memory. For instance, when I was a teenager, a group of girls (4) decided to go snoop around this old mansion in our housing development. Well anyway, we went in the house and the story begins. I just wrote everything down. Not so memorable to anyone else, but it's about me and I think my grandkids would enjoy it. I would set it up, much like the web page. This is a scrapbook built around memories and stories instead of pictures.

Some stories are vague, but my sister helps me remember them. I also have some of her stories. These were just "I remember when" type e-mails.

What do you think?

Thought I'd share this idea and am open to suggestions.

http://granny2shoes2.tripod.com/03memoriesspooky.html

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mansion On The Hill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idea I have for my Granny Book

I have been thinking along the same lines. But I have never done a scrapbook. I will be a grandmother in Dec and I have been saving all emails from my son and his wife. Thought I'd do a scrapbook titled......"The Year Before Me." Would be given to the baby sometime. I have saved emailed pictures and emails from my son and daughter-in-law. I'm not sure where to start but plan on doing this.

o

This sounds fabulous Rosie. It's almost like a baby book in reverse. It could end with the birth announcement.

o

I ordered a maple (wood) and leather album today and will try to think about how to do this. It's a bit hard getting started. Trying to figure out if I want to do it like the baby is talking and explaining or if the parents are talking.........????

o

Rosie, how about you doing the talking. I think it would be great so he/she can know how Grandma feels and what she did for them.

o

That's cool....hadn't thought of that.
Like "your Dad had a busy year in college the year before you were born. Here is one of his stressful emails......."

LOL

o

Sounds good to me. Just as long as it's tastefully done and doesn't embarrass Daddy.

o

Granny2shoes.
Just had to tell you that I read your Mansion On The Hill story. It was a fantastic read, very well done. What a fine addition to your scrapbook of memories.
Sapphires

o

I think you have a marvelous idea. I am trying to "retro-write" my dear Grandma's stories. I'm doing a scrapbook that includes all the photos she had in her house when she died. They go back to the very early 1900s. I'm including "history stories" I remember her telling about her parents and grandparents.

I've asked aunts and cousins to write their "stories" too. I want to make a big "Our Family History" book. I've asked for everything they are comfortable with sharing. The good, the bad, the happy, the sad, and in some cases the down-right ugly. I hope to make it a complete picture of our family.

o

Caroline, that is a mighty ambitious undertaking. I wish you lots of luck with your "Our Family History". I'm afraid in my family I am senior person and I have forgotten more than I can remember. What a shame.

Sapphires, thank you for the compliment on my story. I have not done the page yet but was going to take a class on pop-up pages. I'd like to pop-up a silhouette "Bates House" on that page. I just keep seeing it in my mind's eye.

o

Neat idea. If you have 'period' photos that go with the stores, it would be cool to add the photos. Or at least photos of yourself at that age.

I have very few photos of my grandparents, but they don't start until high school gradution. I'd love to picture my parents and grands as kids!

o

I wish I knew some stories about my grandparents. I have photos but don't know that I know them. I hope to add some photos to match the time period. But I really wanted a lot of text. I think the best thing I can do is use my writings as is. If I start doctoring them, they'll lose something. Thanks for all the helpful hints. I enjoy getting them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here