SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_on

Shaker boxes...the quick and easy way.

heather_on
19 years ago

Go to your local dollar store and look for a certain type of packaging.....the type that has a clear plastic hard surface but is only raised up a small amount, about one-eighth to one quarter inch rise at the most. It also needs to have a lip area of plastic all the way around. Sewing needles come in a round package this way. Cribbage pegs, some children's games, furniture sliders, sewing notions are areas where I have found the appropriate packaging. It's nice if you can use the things you buy but I have to admit that I have more cribbage pegs than I will ever use!

Peel the plastic carefully off of the card and try and peel off all of the paper that is going to show as the shaker box. Around the lip area it is okay to leave the paper on. You will later be covering the lip area.

Find a picture that works well in your layout. I don't generally use photos, I rather look for images on the Internet that are suitable to add to my pages. Print them out on cardstock or better yet photopaper. Make sure that they fit the plastic packaging. If you can, leave a little area of white showing so that the beads will not hide your picture.

Next turn your plastic right side up and fit it over your picture and trace all of the way around the lip. Then cut your picture out.

Turn your plastic over so that it is like a bowl and add your seed beads or whatever you want to shake. The underside of the lip is now on the top. Coat the lip with a good glue like scrappy glue. Give the whole lip area a light coating but not too much. I haven't had permanent success with the cheaper white glues or photo squares. Haven't tried the tacky tape yet but it might work well.

Place your picture down over the plastic so that it is even with the lip all of the way around. Press lightly around so that the glue is adhered all over the lip but not too much that the glue goes into your package part.

Let it dry!!!!! Do not try and cheat and look at it too soon.

When dry, turn it over and make a frame for it. If you have square or rectangular packaging, I just cut strips of cardstock and make a frame around the lip. I use photo squares to adhere the cardstock to the lip and and brads to decorate at the corners.

If it is a round circle shaker box, then I glue small punches all around the circle to cover the lip. Hearts, flowers whatever is appropriate. Your imagination can be used so many ways here.

Addiction warning: Once you start making them, it is hard to stop.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x