Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone do digital scrapbooking?

Posted by schoolbelle (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 9:25

I've tried traditional scrapbooking over the years but just can't stand the clutter, mess, and expense (sorry dedicated scrapbookers!).

What's new out there for those who digitally scrapbook? What programs do you use and like? What tips can you offer to someone just starting out? Are there books or other resources that have been helpful at getting you started? How have you scanned and organized old photos for easy digital use? Do you print out your finished pages or keep the album on CD? Do you add music? If so, how?

I use a Mac, have a huge library of digital clip art, have access to scanner and printer, love to do digital photography and really think digital is the way to go for me...now, who can give me some advice to get me going?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone do digital scrapbooking?

Me me me!! I used to be a paper scrapper, but I never had the time to pull all of the supplies out, get some pages done and clean it all up while my kids were otherwise occupied LOL

Then I "morphed" into a paper scrapper that used the computer to journal and make elements. It was a bit quicker, but still there was that mess. Now I am a full blown dig-scrap addict! I actually have a harder time paper scrapping lately because I can't change the color of an element or resize it like I can on the computer.

I use ACDsee Photo Manager to organize my photos and my scrap kits. I can either download digital photos from my camera or scan regular photos right into Photo Manager. As I import them, I can even "tag" them with certain keywords so I can find them easily again with a quick search. Photo Mangager is in Beta for Mac, but you can go to http://www.acdsee.com/offers/proformac/ and try it out.

I usually share my LO's online, but I do print them too. I will resize them to 8x8, and print them on my photo printer. People who want to print 12x12 often recommend Costco for that.

I also have a bunch of tips and tricks on my blog, and you can see some of the layouts I have done too. This was my most recent tutorial and LO

http://faerywings.wordpress.com/

And again, there is a free 30-day trial at acdsee.com plus more info and tutorials.

I think the possibilities in creating with digital scrapping are amazing and so much fun! I hope you do too!

o

Thank you faerywings for your input! I will certainly check out all the things you've mentioned. it seems like with digital photography, clip art, and all the electronic magic available, digital is soooo the way to go (at least for me).

o

I'm a paper scrapper gone digital. I use Photoshop Elements 5, although later versions are now available.

I enjoy digi scrapping for many of the reasons you've mentioned--no mess, take it anywhere, less expense. I usually print my layouts. That's another plus for me. I can duplicate any layout without purchasing more supplies to re-create it. I can re-size layouts so I'll have smaller copies to take to work, give to friends or relatives, etc.

There are several websites devoted to digital scrapping. To name a few:

scrapbook-bytes.com
digitialscrapbookplace.com
godigitalscrapbooking.com

Check out their forums and download a few freebies to give it a try. I think you'll enjoy it.

o

Hi,
I see that it's been a little while since you posted this, but I wanted to share the info I have in case you still need it. I discovered Creative Memories Digital Scrapping software around 6 months ago and haven't looked back. I packed up all my traditional stuff, (and I had lots and lots of it...) and I'm now trying to decide who to give it to. Creative Memories is great, I had tried scrapping with Adobe Photoshop Elements since I already used it to manipulate my photos, but I could never get the hang of it, (I've since discovered that many other people say the same thing, you have to have a good working knowledge of it to scrap with it.) CM does all the major things that PSE does, you can lasso an area and turn a photo into sepia or b/w while leaving that one spot in color just for one example. There are bunches of free paper collections that you can download, along with a free version of the scrapping software, Storybook Creator. The free version is very limited in what it will do though, you can basically only use it to drag and drop photos into all the pre-designed pages available. It's not terribly expensive, and if you buy the beginners collection you get a 39.95 coupon toward a storybook, (an 8x8 is around 40.00.) With it you also get a large kit of paper/embellishments/overlays, (which you can fill with color, gradients, paper, etc.)/and word art. You can do things like change the look of a piece of paper or embellishment simply by changing the hue or color of it. You can change it to match your photos or just to get several different looks from the same paper or embellishment. CM collections that are available to purchase, (in addition to the free ones) are very inexpensive. They range from 3.95 to 9.95 for a very large collection. There are also freebies added daily to my website that you can download, or you can use products that are not CM although I rarely need to because they have so much to choose from. I know some people like to use the freebies you find online though and most of those are compatible with it. I was so impressed with the company that I signed up as a consultant a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. I have a Facebook group called Tamela's Scrapbooking Divas where you can check out some of my work along with a few other people who have posted there. The software is extrememly user friendly and what I do is teach people how to use it, in addition to the free web claasses that CM offers covering beginning to advanced techniques. If you would like more info just e-mail me at Tgillespie67@aol.com and put CM in the subject line so I know to open it. I will be happy to tell you how to download the free software and papers if you contact me.
Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be so long...
Have a great evening!
Tamela (Tammy) Gillespie

o

Hello,

I tried surfing the internet to search for the digital scrap booking ideas and I have found one website. I hope this helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: digital scrapbooking

o

I've not checked in for awhile, so thanks to everyone for your input. With fall coming it will be time to get out my photos and think of scrapbooking again. I've enjoyed looking at the websites you've suggested and have garnered some great ideas. Tammy, I was excited about the suggestion for Creative Memories software as that's a name all scrapbookers are familiar with already. However, unless I'm missing something, the software is only for those who are PC users and there's nothing available for those of us with Macs. Let me know if I'm wrong. Anyway, my search continues for a really great software for my Mac.

o

Hi - I am also a CM consultant and I love the digital (still do traditional, too!). The software WILL run on the newer macs with Parallels or other programs which can run pc-based software. My own mac is too old to run the CM digital software, so I invested in a cheap pc just for that purpose. But I know that many mac people run the CM software. If you go to CM's site, you should be able to check the software specifics and see if your computer will support them. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Memories

o

I have turned into a digital scrapbooker too. I make pages which I store in an iPad photo app called iAlbum. Still a beginner but am very pleased with the ease of using this software and the result.

o

I do some digital scrapbooking using Photoshop. I would recommend this program, because you can do lots of things, but it does take white a while. There may be some other programs out there which kind of "do it for you", come up with different templates and themes. That might actually be an easier and better way forward. Because using normal Photo editing software is pretty tedious in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here