Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about die cutting

Posted by laurainsdca (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 17:34

Hi All,

I'm usually over on the quilting forum (as that's my hobby) but I've recently learned that the same die cutting machines scrap bookers use can be used to cut fabric.

I am looking at a Sizzix machine that is under $100 but I have some questions I thought some on here could answer.

How do you get dies for the exact shape/size you want? Is that something you could make yourself or does a manufacturer have to create them?

Does it waste much material?
For example, with quilting, you might want a ton of 5" squares. If you cut them yourself, you could take an 10" square and cut it into 4 5" squares. But I'm wondering with the die cutting machine -- are they cut OUT of the middle of something, where you'd be wasting material around each square? If so -- are we talking about 1/4" of material or inches? I hope I'm making sense.

I asked a vendor and they said "It would not waste much material" which really didn't tell me anything...

Also -- if anyone on here has the sizzix (or knows of another good die cut machine for home use) if you've ever cut fabric with it -- any ideas on whether or not more than one layer could be cut at a time?

I SO appreciate any help you can give me, or if you can point me to any articles. THANKS!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about die cutting

I have a sizzix and you can put just enough paper to cover the metal cutting strips to get the shape you want. So if you take the time to find a scrap (doesn't take long once you get a pile of scraps from other projects)it wastes very little.

As for the size of the cut-outs, u are pretty much stuck with what is offered by manufacturer. But one die can often be used in several ways, i.e. some shapes can be piled on top of each other to make such things as flowers.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Check out the sizzex web site for ideas.....sizzix.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Sizzix

o

Hi:

I saw this posting and decided to post as I have been so happy with my die cutting machine from Accucut. It cuts eight to 10 layers of fabric at a time. You can add fusible web if you are doing appliqu quilts.

I bought a GrandMARK die cutting machine in August 2007. I am a beginning quilter...started about two and a half years ago. I was becoming frustrated with my inaccurate cutting resulting in wasting fabric and pieces that didn't fit together well. I was ready to give up quilting as I just wasn't happy as to how my projects were turning out. I began looking for a die cutting machine as I had seen some die cut fabric on some websites.

I found accucut's website and found the customer representative to be very pleasant and helpful.

I bought the grandmark machine along with the 8" quilt block starter set. You can also buy a 10" or 12" quilt block set. With any of the three quilt block starter kits you can make 36 different blocks with the dies you get with the machine. This is a link to a two page pdf on accucut's website which shows the dies included in the set and the blocks that can be made with the dies.
http://www.accucut.com/images/documents/2006/MMQD.pdf

I am very pleased as it is a real joy to use. I find that I waste very little fabric. The pieces fit together so beautifully.

Some of the current quilting magazines have coupons which I believe can be used for up to 20% off on your order.

I agree it may seem a little pricey but for me it is an investment which has made my quilting hobby far more enjoyable.

I have some pictures on my personal site: http://www.seedandsower.com/quilting.asp

The accucut diecut machine and dies are also used for scrapbooking, stationery and paper crafts. Their site is very well done and lots of information and projects.

this link may be useful:
http://www.accucut.com/

I hope this is helpful,

Kind regards

o

Am I correct that Sizzix dies will work on a Cuttlegug? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks.

o

This might help you out:

http://www.circleofcrafters.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=66977

o

The only dies that will RELIABLY cut fabric are steel rule dies and the only company that still makes those are Accucut www.accucut.com and Sizzix.

Other dies, for the Cuttlebug for example, are wafer dies, and will not reliable cut through fabric. They can only do a layer at a time and the fabric must be stabilized and fairly thin.

There is one company out there that will custom make steel rule dies www.cross-cut.com but they are hard to reach, take a long time and there is always a chance you may never see your die. Only pay with a credit card you can dispute the charge with if you want to take a chance on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here