SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurainsdca

Questions about die cutting

laurainsdca
16 years ago

Hi All,

I'm usually over on the quilting forum (as that's my hobby) but I've recently learned that the same die cutting machines scrap bookers use can be used to cut fabric.

I am looking at a Sizzix machine that is under $100 but I have some questions I thought some on here could answer.

How do you get dies for the exact shape/size you want? Is that something you could make yourself or does a manufacturer have to create them?

Does it waste much material?

For example, with quilting, you might want a ton of 5" squares. If you cut them yourself, you could take an 10" square and cut it into 4 5" squares. But I'm wondering with the die cutting machine -- are they cut OUT of the middle of something, where you'd be wasting material around each square? If so -- are we talking about 1/4" of material or inches? I hope I'm making sense.

I asked a vendor and they said "It would not waste much material" which really didn't tell me anything...

Also -- if anyone on here has the sizzix (or knows of another good die cut machine for home use) if you've ever cut fabric with it -- any ideas on whether or not more than one layer could be cut at a time?

I SO appreciate any help you can give me, or if you can point me to any articles. THANKS!!!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz