Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What trimmer do you prefer???

Posted by pinkcarnation (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 19:26

I am new to scrapbooking and am beginning to collect supplies. I have been researching paper trimmers and I am totally lost! I would like to know what you recommend, brand, style, etc. What is the easiest to use, and it must be inexpensive. I don't want to invest a lot of money into this until I try it for awhile. Has anyone used the Fiskars ones which offer replacement blades in assorted shapes?? I don't want this type necessarily, am just wondering. Also, is there a standard number of pages to use per album, or do you add as many as you want? TIA
Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What trimmer do you prefer???

I have a 12 inch Fiskars trimmer with the replacement blades. I like it for its portability and the option of where I put the blade down (you can make inside cuts).

For straight up cutting, I'd rather use a traditional paper cutter like you find at office supply stores. I think it is easier to measure with, but they weigh a whole bunch and take up a lot of room.

I think Fiskars has just changed their trimmers - there seems to be a purple one and an orange one on the market now. I'd double check to make sure they were still manufacturing the replacement blades you would need before you pick a color.

But I can't say I road-tested a bunch of other models before choosing the Fiskars. It was just the best deal on the day I bought it.

(oh, and as for pages - there is no rule or standard. Use however many you want until the album seems "done" or the hinge won't hold any more)

Have fun!
Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o

Thanks so much Sarah! Have you ever used the circle or oval trimmers for inside curves? I am wondering if they make clean cuts. I have noticed there seem to be several different 12" trimmers made by Fiskars. I guess I just need to try to find as many of them as I can, and check them out. Again, thanks for the imput!
Jackie

o

Start out slow and don't worry about the cutting tools. These will come in time. Do you have a craft store--like JoAnn', Michels Hobby Lobby" Some of these stores can help you. To begin with try to find an experience scrapbooker, or go to a party like Creative Memories etc. There are a excellent variety of magazine avaiable, but again I found they are all about the same. You can go to different web sites, like Creative Memories and get a free newsletter. I found a great Fiskar trimmer at Office Max at a sale price. Your scrapbook can be as big or as little as you want it to be. You will find that making cards is fun too and the ideas are related. I also take simple cheap cards and add to them--pictures, stickers etc. Go to the library and you can find information free. Ask around and you probably will find someone who either makes cards and/or scrapbooks. Just type scrapbooks in google and you will be amazed. Oriental Trading Co has a catalog free. So does Paper Wishes. Get some free catalogs and you will get so many ideas.
Good luck from someone who has boxes of stuff and still collecting and will get a book made soon.

o

I also use the Fiskars trimmer, because the blades can be replaced and because of its versaility. If you are likely to make fancy cuts as well as straight ones, it's great. If you just want to make straight cuts, there are probably cheaper ones that work fine. If you have a Michael's or AC Moore in your area, check your local paper for coupons. Both stores regularly give coupons for 40% off one regular-priced item.

o

I prefer the Creative Memories cutters for shapes. They are pretty limited in their utility in terms of size and shapes but for some reason I feel they are more solid. For trimmers, any paper cutter works fine except that some of them are heavier than others.

o

Actually, your design for your scrapbook depends on you. So whatever trimmer you use or how many pages you want, it doesn't really matter as long as you're happy about the output.

o

Gee it has been so long since I last posted here! I did buy a Fiskars Rotary Trimmer on eBay and got a terrific deal on it. So I am all set to start scrapping. I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful suggestions and ideas. I do appreciate them!

~Jackie

o

I must tell you i have never owned a cutter that i felt did a very good job for long.I do like my Carls the best of any. Was a bit expensive but worth it in my opinion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here