Return to the Scrapbooks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acid, lignin free stuff that won't hurt scrapbooks

Posted by AdellaBedella (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 02 at 17:12

There is a big deal made out of using the acid free, lignin free paper and other products that won't hurt pictures over time. As I've started looking at examples on the internet of scrapbook pages other people have done, I'm finding more and more objects and techniques that people have incorporated to make their pages look nice. I'd love to use some of this other stuff, but I'm wondering how it would affect the longetivity of my pictures. For example, I've seen some really neat ideas with twine, sewing, wooden buttons, fabric, wire, etc. But wouldn't the use of this stuff be more likely to damage photos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acid, lignin free stuff that won't hurt scrapbooks

i think you are right about being concerned with what can damage the photos you are trying to preserve. all in all the scrapbooks intent is to preserve photos for future generations...i think that many of the decorative techniques are undermining just that. i am very cautious about what i use, and realize that just because something says "acid free" doesn't mean that it is safe to use. it is a poorly regulated industry, and sometimes you don't get what you buy.

o

I agree! I am a Creative Memories Consultant and I can guarantee that our products are safe. Creative Memories uses a team of scientist to test their products and have over a million dollars invested in this process. Feel free to view my website as all of your questions can be answered. If not, feel free to contact me!

www.mycmsite.com/tondaleyalyons

o

I always find folks laughing when the companies toot about guarantees for 100 years! Whenever my friend, my upline when I was a CM consultant, tells about the long guarantee, there is always someone in the crowd that comments how none of us will be around 100 years from now to know it the researchers were right. That is so true. I guess we just have to trust the researchers. That is why I stick with the reputable companies like CM, Mrs. Grossman, the big names. They have a lot invested in having a good product. Sometimes I see an odd brand sticker but I pass cause I just don't know if it is any good.

o

I agree that we have to trust the companies that claim that the scrapbooks will last 100 years or more. After all, isn't that what we want from them? How will our ancestors get an idea of what our lives were like if our photos/pages don't last?
Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Scrapbooks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here