SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
panderson78

What is Your Opinion of School Uniform?

P Anderson
22 years ago

I strongly believe in school uniform as it helps to promote a good sense of belonging to a community, reduces fashion contests and contributes to a healthy academic environment where children can learn completely free of distractions. My son attends a private school here in Staffordshire where uniform plays a major part. It consists of a blazer, cap and grey short trousers for the Summer and long trousers for the Winter. He loves the uniform and feels part and parcell of school life.

Comments (90)

• anita9
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So do foxy waitresses :)

• Frogman
    21 years ago

My school board just decided to implement school uniforms, and I am opposed. Like other posters here, I expect I will have to purchase uniforms in addition to, not instead of, normal clothes. We get most of our children's clothes at yard sales or as hand me downs or gifts, so even if they substitute for regular clothes, they will still be more expensive.

More critically, I believe that requiring uniforms teaches kids a bad lesson about the proper role of government. In a free society, government should restrict liberty (and a mandatory policy is, by definition, a restriction on liberty) only when it serves the common good. That is why TREKaren's example of driving on the right is an acceptable government mandated restriction of liberty.

Uniforms have not been shown to have a beneficial effect, and in fact have been shown to be harmful in some cases. All of the statistically-based research I have been able to find on uniforms suggests that they are either ineffectual or harmful. A 1998 study by Brunsma and Rockquemore at Notre Dame (see link below) revealed that uniforms had no effect on attendance, no effect on substance abuse, no effect on behavior problems, and no effect on pro-school attitudes. They found a negative effect on behavioral problems for students with high pro-school attitudes and a negative effect on academic achievement. Another study by ETS found that uniforms had no effect on similar measures.

I plan to opt my twin five year old boys out of uniforms, though I have to set up a meeting with the principal to do it. I hope it doesn't get my kids blackballed by the administration or singled out by other kids for punishment. Of course, if my kids decide they want to wear the uniform, that's OK with me, but I'd rather give them the choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunsma and Rockquemore study

• Related Discussions

School Uniform Advice

Q

Comments (8)
    Target brand has held up well. They have a stainguard in them if you get the uniform shirts and their pants do also. We bought several pairs of uniform pants at a uniform place with the double knees and my son hated them because they were so stiff. I never could get them to soften enough through washings and fabric softener. He is not normally a picky kid so I would suggest having your kiddo try them on before buying a bunch if you think that might be an issue for him. Also we found out that it's not easy to find the right shirts and pants inexpensively after school starts-- target only carries them for a short while -- we had to buy a shirt at a uniform store and I didn't care for it as much. I found that having lots of shirts in rotation meant that they didn't wear out too fast. I used Downy with Whitening on them and they made it through a school year looking good. Lands end has great quality shirts and I buy them when they are on clearance at nearly the same price as target shirts. Hope some of that helps!!
    ...See More

oh great now --school uniforms!

Q

Comments (29)
    My 2 girls have attended schools with & without a uniform policy, but always under a dress code. When they first started wearing uniforms (at a public charter school) it was harder to find them locally and they were priced very closely to other clothing on the racks. So at the time it WASNÂT less expensive. My mom was kind enough to make them some & fabric is MUCH cheaper. And this was before Target & Walmart started carrying a good line of uniforms. One of the first batches of uniforms I purchased almost fell apart after a few washings. I spent a LOT of time volunteering at the school where they wore uniforms & although all the kids wore them, there was still a neatness issue. I personally despise seeing uniforms not neat, shirts pulled out, etc. - if you're going to have a uniform policy, neatness should follow. (Too long in the military I guess). And IÂm not saying they should be pressed, just that the teachers began spending way too much time tucking shirts in. My biggest problem with uniforms was when my oldest was in a phase where she didn't want to wear dresses or skirts. This was fine when it was warm enough to wear the shorts, but not when it did cool off. I did love that they could just roll out of bed & it didnÂt matter what they wore. My kids are going to a small school district (our town's population is currently 11K & going at 44%). Last spring before school ended, the middle school had a meeting at the school for both the parents & the students. What was neat about it was they had several 7th graders present wearing examples of what not to wear. The kids wore some of the frequent offenders - t-shirts with the arms torn out, too-short skirts (well above finger-tip length), and mid-drift showing. It was effective in that both the kids & the parents got to see actual examples. They also make it very well known that they (the school) will call the parents to come up with a change of clothes for the kiddo. I do feel that the individual school should be making the decision on uniforms. And hope that they are including parents and other community members in their decision. Otherwise it'll cause friction & dissention between the school, the school district and the parents. IÂd rather them figure out why our kids canÂt learn science or how to read than be bogged down with the uniform issue.
    ...See More

What is your opinion of school uniforms?

Q

Comments (21)
    I keep asking and do not get an answer. When did school become no more important than goign to the corner hang out? All this uniform talk is because students today look like street walkers or hoodlums. They disrespect themselves and their school walking around with all their cracks showing, underwear hanging out, hats on..School is not the mall!! Dress codes are fraught with danger. Who will enforce who will not, what is too short/long/low blah blah blah. A uniform ends all the debate. Back in the day students dressed up to go to school. Now they dress like they are goign to the beach. We just passed a bond to build a new school. Our school will look like several million bucks while our students all look like two bit trailer trash.
    ...See More

Opinions wanted~ ncp took SD outta school early

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks Ceph for bringing up a point that I thought about last night as we were going to pick her up. She does feel anxious about everything that's going on in her life and gets confused. We also discussed that SD may have also been told, "don't tell daddy I picked you up early". Then, SD is going to be keeping a secret, which might make her feel guilty. And that's not fair to her, especially since it isn't a big deal to DH. (or at least not something he's going to call BM on this time) DH is going to let the school know to contact him in the future if anyone tries to pick up SD early. She's in the third grade and part of the reason she's struggling, is because when she was in the 2nd grade, we discovered that her mom was doing homework for her. BM was into taekwondo and signed up SD to go with her. One of the things she was asked to do, was bring in her report cards because they stress the importance of education, among other things in martial arts. BM would "help" her by doing the ones she didn't get so she would have it done. This year, when she started 3rd grade, she was completely lost and I spend at least an hour or two every night working on getting caught up. She's finally getting most of it now, so that is part of why her attendance is so important to us. The only days she's missed this year are due to coming home from BM's sick. I know kids get sick, but BM doesn't make her wear shoes outside or a coat when it's cold. She's also gaining a lot of weight again and her pants are not fitting her. Last night when we picked her up, SD was flopped on the couch eating corndogs while watching a movie. She's constantly saying she's hungry (she said it as soon as we got home) and in our house, she gets three meals and a couple of healthy snacks. We also control her portions and sit at the table to eat. While we don't agree with BM's way, it's her house and we don't say anything. It's just sad that she doesn't care. When SD was in 2nd grade, she was pretty overweight (as in prior years too) and when she moved in here, she would come home from school and cry because kids were teasing her. I made a few changes while she was at our house. I stopped giving her soda and started giving her only milk, juice or water. Her mom promptly called DH to complain about that. I also cook all the meals so I made sure she had healthy meals and appropriate portions. I also took away her video games and gave her toys to play with outside, so she can run around and exercise. Mom also complained about that. By the end of summer, she had slimmed down and was wearing normal sizes. (the prior year, all her pants had to be cut short or capri because to fit on her belly, normal pants were too long) I had weight issues as a kid and I know how painful it is to be teased. Every time she's at her moms for a significant amount of time, she gains a lot of weight. Her mom doesn't cook so they eat out a lot or prepackaged foods. DH has tried to explain to BM that SD struggles with her weight. She's only 8 and this will affect her the rest of her life.
    ...See More
  • faintstar2k
    21 years ago

i go to a school with uniform. i wear uniform everyday. and i love it. sometimes i don't because i have to tuck my shirt in all the time and ...i think it's pretty ugly. *laughs* but eh, oh well. and my school are pretty stricked with it too. if i'm caught without my dress shoes (which in fact, does decreases possible inches of growing and hurts my feet) or without my shirt tucked in, i'm suspended which is really unreasonable. but hey, the school needs to reinforce it so theres order in the school. the good thing about uniform is that alot of kids can't afford to buy the new and "in" clothes, for ex. gap, guess, etc. and when other kids wear those kinds of clothes, while other kids wear some cheap ones, they'll be labeled. with uniform, kids won't go up to other kids and blurt out, "where did you get that? BIWAY!?" it's quite embarrassing...and theres peer pressure, you can't forget that. so uniform liminates that, and i like it. plus, i can actually get to school in time cuz I already know what i have to wear for school everyday. i don't have to choose anymore!

• sha_lyn
    21 years ago

Thanks for the link and names of other studies frogman. In every debate that this comes up in no one can give me a study that shows uniforms improve behavior, drug use or grades. It turns out that the uniforms are just one of many new policies started in the districts that have had good results.

• Frogman
    21 years ago

I would truly be willing to give uniforms a shot if someone could present a scientific study (as opposed to a survey of perceptions) showing that uniforms do what proponents claim. As far as I can tell, no such study exists.

• Frogman
    21 years ago

Here's an article from the New York Times which indicates that many districts are eliminating their mandatory uniform policies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plaid's Out, Again, as Schools Give Up Requiring Uniforms

• Frogman
    21 years ago

Here's an article from the New York Times which indicates that many districts are eliminating their mandatory uniform policies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plaid's Out, Again, as Schools Give Up Requiring Uniforms

• lil_lillian
    21 years ago

I am currently in 10th grade at a private school. We are required to wear our uniform correctly ( or we will be sent home or given a uniform infringment notice that equates to a long saturday detention).

Once a month we have the option of wearing plain clothes. On this day, teachers cannot seem to control the students as they are distracted by the informal dress code.. As this is a school community of 1200 students, things often get VERY out of hand..

I personally would prefer to wear a school uniform... As I live in Australia, a uniform is mandatory for all schools... On a recent visit to the USA, i was amazed at how the students could wear free dress without causing a riot like my VERY STRICT PRIVATE CATHOLIC school..

I feel proud each mourning when I put my uniform on. I feel like a belong to a strong community. Old collegions often visit the school and claim they also feel proud to see us upholding the tradition of high dress they set..

I guess american students have grown accustomed to not wearing uniforms.. it seems idiotic to make them wear them now.. wearing uniforms is a nessescity in Australia, but in the US social relations are differnt.

• lee676
    21 years ago

In my thirteen years of public schooling, I don't recall ever being distracted by anyone's clothing. I can't for the life of me see how everyone wearing the same clothes will make it easier to comprehend a lecture, read a textbook, or complete one's homework. Sometimes we need to let common sense rule.

• trekaren
    21 years ago

Lee,
    It's not necessarily wearing the 'same' clothes, but at least adhering to a dress code. Some of the clothes the kids wear now defy common sense. I don't see why a 12-year-old should be wearing hoochie clothes. And I doubt if you'll find too many 12-year-old boys who would not be distracted by the outfits I see.

The one thing I wish a young person would explain to me is how in the world they can go thru the day with those huge pants that hang around their ankles without tripping or being uncomfortable. But then I guess I'm a fuddy duddy. Don't hold it against me! LOL

• klimkm
    20 years ago

As a person who went to Catholic schools for twelve years and wore uniforms. I have to speak out. I loved them because you just didn't have to think about what to wear. You just rolled out of bed, put on the same white blouse and blue cardigan and skirt.
    Whereas my girlfriends who went to public used to have major arguments with their Moms every morning about what to wear, what was appropriate, which outfit made them look fat.
    We were allowed to wear sox of our choice, some kids got a little crazy with those. And one Friday a month we were allowed to wear jeans to school.
    Our school also had a rummage sale once a year where you could obtain used skirts, etc. And my parish was wearing the same plaid skirts since the beginning of time, So you could get the uniforms cheaply if needed. And I have two sisters all about the same size so we just had tons of white blouses in our closet. Just grabbed the short sleeves or the long sleeved ones depending on the weather.
    I wish my kids wore uniforms, they go to public school though. I can't wait for the arguments.

• browntoestoo
    20 years ago

Love them! Love them! Love them! I sometimes wish I could wear one, too! So easy, fairly inexpensive.

Eileen

• cupajoe
    20 years ago

My daughter always dressed extremely conservatively for her set through elementary school. We reached a point where it was difficult to find clothing her size that was appropriate.Does anyone wonder why the adult manufacturers of children's clothing make such racy clothing for children anyway?

• trekaren
    20 years ago

joe,
    Amen to that! I cannot believe the Britney Hoochie Mama clothes I see in the stores - from the time DD wore 4T and continuing now into her size 7-8. And I imagine it will only get worse as she approaches the tween years.

I have good luck finding conservative or classic clothes at Kohls (they carry Carters and OshKosh and other brands like that), and Parisian.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

went to a private school with a dress code but no uniforms, a private school with uniforms, and a public school where I was a ringleader in stomping out the proposed dress code...

and every opinion I have on the subject has been made obsolete by the fashion industry, who insists on dressing every girl from puberty on in stuff I wouldn't wear pub-crawling.

dressing children up in blazers and short pants lump in with the rest of british prep school perversity- like canings, buggery, and instirutionalized brutality...but then, I'd have been one of the kids left hanging under the stairwell that everyone would pretend was a suicide.

making kids wear simple clothes to school? fine. making them into clones? has been proven to create three kinds of kids- mindless little clones, monsters, and dropouts who might have changed the world if they hadn't raised to believe that independance and creativity were bad things.

• trekaren
    20 years ago

Canings? Institutionalized brutality? Ok I think that has little to do with uniforms. Nor do I think uniforms would prevent Columbine or other tragedies. But oddly enough they belonged to a group that dressed like clones (black trenchcoats,etc).

I worry about your hanging comment. 1) Are you okay? Truly I'm asking sincerely. 2) are there instances of hangings that were murder or something that you are alluding to?

A poster above from over a year ago said it succinctly:

"Even without uniforms, kids still dress like clones anyway. Just take a trip to the mall - they all dress like each other."

You say making them dress simply is fine with you. The trouble with dress codes is it is hard to enforce. Take hemlines. Can a male principle nowadays go up to a female student with a short skirt and measure the distance from hem to knee without being slapped with a lawsuit.

• cupajoe
    20 years ago

Lots of homeschoolers in my area. They often have a refreshing viewpoint. Clothes sure don't make a clone like sitting kids in front of television and video games will. For a few lucky adults who work at home or work for themselves, conformity is not an issue. But finding a job when you look like the tattooed lady at the sideshow and have multiple piercings visible to the world is not such an easy task. Making a child conform to a dresscode is not going to stifle their creativity or force them to act alike.They will probobly be forced to conform to dress codes, manners and certain acceptable behavior patterns throughout their lives.Waiting for them to grow into adulthood to learn that acceptance into society is based on conformity is tantimount to allowing a dog to pee all over the house till adulthood, and then trying to train him.Confusing and difficult.Wouldn't it be great if expressions of creativity went back to meaning learning and growing as a musician, artist,writer, etc. Sandy

• spewey
    19 years ago

I am against uniforms. When I played football, wearing a uniform always made me stand out as a member of a team, so consequently the opposing school players could always identify me, and I blame being tackled on the fact I was wearing a distinctive uniform.

I don't like band uniforms either; usually excessively militaristic. Come to think of it, I don't even like band members being forced to play uniform music; it stifles creativity. What if my muffin hates Sousa and wants to play something by Led Zep instead (while wearing a hoochie outfit). I hate to think of her being restricted.

• browntoestoo
    19 years ago

I am the most renegade individual I know. I haven't had a conformist notion since age 2. I am highly creative and make a good living doing so. Uniforms don't form the mind, other creative thinkers do.

I believe that if children aren't obessed with the latest fashions or distracted by who is wearing what, they have more time to devote to truly independent thought.

• theroselvr
    19 years ago

I'm a parent of 2- boy almost 19 who graduated last year & a girl, 11 going into 6th grade- I am opposed to uniforms. Our school district is thinking about enforcing a uniform policy, and I will not quietly be sitting home while meetings go on, etc. At the last meeting I sat there & listened. From what I understand it was the 6th or 7th meeting. Funny thing, no notices have ever been sent home about this. I found out cause I went to my daughter's school to pick her up for a doctor's appt & saw the notice on the door. Why haven't notices been sent home before? Was the school system quietly trying to pass this without parental input? I went to our web site, did not see a page dedicated to this. I asked at the meeting why it wasn't published anywhere & was told it was on the web site. I then came home & checked- there it was in a small scrolling box. Something this important deserves it's own web page off of the main site- no? Parents using Netscape 4.79 or Mozilla will not see this scrolling message- you have to use Internet Explorer. From what I was told, a notice was "supposed" to go home- well it didn't until the day of the meeting, and if your like any stressed out parent who works, who checks their kids back pack every day when they get home from school? I asked the secretaries for a copy of it, and was going to get a copy until I opened up my big mouth. Once it was seen that I was opposed, I did not get a copy. I'm told it was also in the community newspaper, which also came out the day of the meeting. Surely something this important should come out the week before? So anyway, I will not sit here and not do something for this not to pass. I added my name to the committee so that I can help get the word out, so that others can oppose or agree and be heard. If need be, I will offer any help to make a web page for the districts web master to upload to the web site. I learned that this had been in the discussions years ago when my son was little- again nothing was ever sent home.

The parents (that did make it out) were pretty much split, a few more for uniforms than against. After the count they asked who was undecided- a few more raised their hands. Some "for" said they would have voted undecided had they realised it would be an option- they never did a recount.

My daughter is a little over-weight. I either have to shop at Sears or JC Penney. My daughter does not wear sexy clothes- we go with plus sized jeans with plain Tshirts, or capri's. Her Tshirts are long enough to cover her stomach, but not too long that they are at her knees. Clothes in plus size cost more money, something that I've learned to live with.

Even though she is a plus size, I can still buy her nice clothes at a decent price cause I am able to shop sales Right now I have this option since I can buy her clothes off of the rack in the store. Uniforms are not available in the store & will have to be purchased online. Sure they have sales at JCpenney.com, but now I have to pay shipping. As others have said, I will still have to buy play clothes which I can't get cheap & buy at lesser priced stores. I still have to buy my daughter sneakers (Nike's or Van's) for gym but thankfully my daughter can have these name brand sneaks cause we shop sales. She is allowed $35 to $40 for sneaks. I buy her new ones every 4 months. If my township decides that shoes will be needed also, this is another expense. Sure, right now my daughter has dress shoes (read Imelda Marco's- shoe fetish) but I can buy her shoes on clearance for $15. I highly doubt that they will allow the shoes she likes with a uniform.

Dressing is easier with uniforms. How many parents here can honestly say they like doing laundry? Think about it- you will not only have to wash the regular clothes, but also the uniforms too. Add to your time washing the clothes, the added gas or electric needed to dry the clothes. Our gas bill is high right now without more laundry to do. Laundry detergent is something I hate to buy- it is pretty expensive as it is- how many more bottles of this per year will we have to buy for the extra laundry?

Our kids will have it easier in the morning dressing cause they have no choice, now the parents are stressed cause Johnny needs a new bike for Christmas & we don't have the money because of this added expense. How much more child abuse will happen cause parents are stressed to the max over this? Do we as parents really need to have more money worries? How many divorced parents are there? These mothers (or fathers) have a hard enough time making ends meet as it is. Try to get more child support for uniforms- not happening. My Ex won't even reimburse me for medical without having to hire an attorney to go back to court for another order.

Kids in uniform can still "roll" their wasteband to hike up their skirts. Will the school system start sending them home for this? We have a dress code right now & I am not seeing them send kids home now. Uniforms are not the answer. Why not hire someone to patrol the halls to monitor & enforce the dress code we currently have? I pay taxes, I would rather see this than me having to shell out more money cause they can't get their act togather to enforce what we already have. The boys can still buy big uniform pants so that they hang off of their butts. If the parents are allowing it now with jeans, why wouldn't they allow it with uniform pants? Parents have to monitor what their kids wear regardless of regular clothes or uniforms, most don't. This is why we see kids dressed like Britney Spears. How many parents will be in the dressing room while Johnny tries on his uniform? How many parents see their kids before they leave for school?

I don't think uniforms will stop teasing. These kids will still say so & so is fat in their uniform. The uniform will not hide a weight problem. Dirty Johnny will still go to school in a dirty uniform. He will still be teased. He will be teased cause he is wearing a donated uniform. Johnny will still get into fights cause he is an easy target.

Some parents don't even know we have a dress code- why? Because these parents don't take the time to read over the handbook that is given at the beginning of the year.

My son that graduated last year- he has never been teased about what he wore. He was an art student that dressed in comfortable clothes- Levi's painters pants with a Tshirt that had a saying on it. The saying was never anything sex related- usually something to the effect of "Everyone is entitled to my opinion" or Mets stuff- he was always seen wearing his Mets jacket- & Nascar stuff. As long as he was comfortable he could care less that he wasn't wearing Nike. He did not want to be part of the crowd- he was an individual & proud of it. He is so glad he is not in school any more to have to wear a uniform.

---------------------------------------------------------

Those of you that do have uniforms in public schools- do they have reasonably priced plus sized clothes for our girls? How about slims for the skinny girls? I remember hemming skirts for a neighbor's daughter that was heavy, she was also short. From what I saw of Catholic School uniforms the parents that had special sized kids sufferred by having to alter them in one way or another. How about our over-weight boys in husky sizes, will they be accomodated? Can you buy the uniforms on sale?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pemberton Township

• theroselvr
    19 years ago

Is anyone a member of the New York Times? I'd like to read that article linked above but can't without paying for it. Did anyone save it? A search of the site brings this up.....

NATIONAL DESK : September 13, 2002, Friday

Plaid's Out, Again, As Schools Give Up Requiring Uniforms

By KATE ZERNIKE (NYT) words
    Late Edition - Final , Section A , Page 1 , Column 1

DISPLAYING FIRST 50 OF WORDS - They tried hard to keep school uniforms going. They relented on the requirement for the logo. They allowed casual Fridays. They phoned every parent in a school of 1,300 students and reminded them that uniforms were mandatory -- though yes, there was the opt-out provision for anyone who really ......

• 33Cat
    19 years ago

jcpenney.com has a selection of plus size and slim size uniforms available. Skirts are less than $20 and white blouses are less than $10.

When I taught at a Catholic school the dress code was less formal than one would expect (no plaid). Everyone had to wear dress shoes, no jeans, and the boys had to wear dress pants, chino type pants, and a tie.

• Katie S
    19 years ago

My kids wear uniforms to public school, and it is WONDERFUL. What to wear is a non-issue, and the range of acceptable choices is very large, so even though some of us have very limited budgets, the kids don't suffer-- each of my kids has four uniforms, so they always have to wear something twice in a week, but no one can tell. Our uniform is: a white, light blue, light yellow, or navy shirt with a collar (can be a turtleneck, an oxford, a polo, short- or long-sleeved) and then khakis or navy pants or skirt or shorts or jumper. there is not one particular style so kids of all sizes have no trouble getting the right thing. There is a plaid jumper you can choose as well, and my daughter has one since it was a hand-me-down. I have four kids close in age and it is great that the uniforms are not trendy stylistically, so they can be handed down. The jumpers can be several different styles. I got my daughter's at a thrift store. There are no school logos on anything except the sweatshirts the PTA sells, and those are optional. Mine wear plain navy sweater sand sweatshirts. It has cut my costs for dressing the children well for school, and it puts the emphasis on expressing oneself through your personality and work instead of through what your parents can affors or will allow! The uniforms at our school have been a HUGE success, and I am very greatful for them. Another nice thing is that if something is clean it can be worn twice in a row, too.

• theroselvr
    19 years ago

Two weeks ago my daughter & I started school shopping. We shopped at Sears, Khols, Fashion Bug & a local store called Peebles. We mostly shopped the sale racks- Mudd jeans as low as $5 a pair, the most expensive was a $15 pair of capri's she had to have that was not on the clearance rack that was not only 1/2 price of original, but another 1/2 off of that.

• theroselvr
    19 years ago

I received an email yesterday with links to that article that is linked up top. The lady that sent it to me said that I could post it here for everyone

Plaid's Out, Again, as Schools Give Up Requiring Uniforms

She also gave me another link Asserting Parent Rights click on Important Links. It looks like a lot of valuable info here.

• carlota
    19 years ago

The California Educational Code states: that children have the right to learn in the LEAST restrictive environment. In my opinion uniforms are restrictive.

Sometimes, dress codes can get out of hand as well...
    I know a single mom of three very active boys. She was layed off from work 3 times, struggled to put food on the table and put clothing on her boys. Our school dresscode stated, no ripped pants or patched pants. Well...on her budget what was she to do? Anyone who knows children know they will rip the knees of pants. I understand the ripped portion of the dress code, but by eliminating patches they were forcing her to buy new pants every time a knee wore out. I'm sorry. But Public Schools are for all children! Dress codes should accomodate different economic situations. Uniforms, while many here think they are less expensive... will cost many parents more and cause many problems.

I'm opposed.

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

The only benefit in uniforms is the boyscout feeling of all participating and being one. It must also be easier on the teacher as to not have to look at a 12 yo girl in a halter top and her underwear hanging out of her low cut jeans. And the heavy makeup and perfumes can be very distracting...I think this sexualization of our young people is unhealthy and while my 12 yo niece in Chicago is bragging how people think she is 22 years old and men are extrememly attracted and starting to make advances towards her...uniforms may help reduce this distractions in the schools.

I understand how kids want to stand out, but maybe a more wholestic dress codes rather than uniforms would be the answer. My step son walks around with his jeans falling to the ground and has to run with his legs spread out to help keep his jeans up. I think that flashing your a@@ (in their innocence of 'fashion and style"is not appropriate and may attact the wrong people .

Recently their was a man known for stalking young boys and messing with them. Thankfully, he has been booted out of the area. But there are ocassional sick people everywhere and kids are so innocent and dress is such a strong statement, just trying to be cool and immulate current TV propganda.

just my thoughts..

Cheers- GX4

• bnicebkind
    18 years ago

I have a few kids. Two are at a school with uniforms. The other is at a school without uniforms. However, I see little difference, since even without uniforms, they all wear the SAME look...low ride jeans or short denim skirts and t-shirts. There are only a few that dare to dress differently, (they are the GOTH group) and yes, they all dress like each other...black...so it is still a uniform of sorts, because you can still pick them out of a crowd and say they are in the GOTH uniform...black...very few people are actually willing to be truly individual...even if they say they are. They just pick a group, and dress like everyone within that group, whether they are copying each other, or copying stars.

If you are a teen, and really want to be an individual...try wearing the super high waisted jeans, with the 9" zippers. Now, you are willing to be an indivual and stand out... make a different statement from your peers!

• bnicebkind
    18 years ago

roselvr...your fears are unfounded. I have kids in different schools. Some at a public school with uniforms, and the other in a school without uniforms.

First of all...with uniforms, I do not spend more money. I buy the bottoms (khaki, or navy) from all the regular stores that you buy from...and they just wear a different tee-shirt on weekends, but the same bottoms. My kids will not wear those stiff uniform bottoms...so we, and EVERYBODY else, buys what ever navy or khaki bottoms they want to.

2nd...I bough the better quality uniform shirts (polo style) and they not only wear them, buy I have been able to pass them down through two more children. The cheap ones I learned fade out, and shrink short and fat, where the good ones have actually made it through several kids, and since they are unisex...it has worked out well. I will get them each 2-3 fresh new shirts each year, and incorporate the hand me downs from their siblings for the extras. Soon, they all begin to look about the same.

The extra wash and drying and electricity argument is a needless worry, ( it seemd unkind to say nonsence...but it is) as I have picked up so many shirts over the years with the kids, that I am lucky if I do laundry once a week, and at times, I won't do laundry for 10 days. Also if you buy the 100% polyester, she may make it through an entire school year never washing the thing! Anything wipes off of the stuff! Of course I am joking (only partially) but the stuff wears like iron, and everything wipes off!

If money is a problem...accept some of the donated ones for the "extras" and buy her a few fresh ones to start school with. In no time, she will not remember which are the extras and which were the new ones.

Kids still have a way of being an individual even in uniforms. they do it with shoes, socks, hair, and jewelry.

And about the kids in middle school...perhaps YOUR daughter is not dressing sexy...but a large percentage of the girls are...even the "good" girls trying to fit in with their peers. Many of you will experience clothing "shock" when your daughters go from girls clothing sizes to junior sizes. The junior department is ALL ABOUT VERY, VERY, low cut jeans (which the girls all wear) and they buy tee-shirts that are supposed to not show bellies. But the school get lax, and the girls experiment to fit in. At first, many of our daughters won't buy "those" jeans...but then their friends all start wearing them, and you will shop and not be able to find anything else (for those in junior sizes) and you start to compomise (knowing that your daughter is one of the good girls...and wanting her to fit in) and the bar in lowered. And somehow...you look at your daughter one day as you are visiting the relatives, and know you compromised more than you should have.

The one area I would stand strong is that the uniform bottoms must be navy, or khaki....because those they can wear to play or on weekends and mix with other tops...I would absolutely vote NO for a plaid, as they really would not wear it at any other time, and if I had to look at that same plaid every day for years on end...I might go stark raving mad!

Anyway...turns out it was really not worth the stress of worrying about uniforms. Worked out better than I thought. Also, I was relieved when my middle school kid went to a new school with no uniforms. Finally free! that relief lasted about a two months...and now clothing is a daily hassle. They start wanting all the cool clothes they see on the other girls, and the struggles begin. the shirt you bought them that they "love" ...eight weeks later they are over it, and will not wear it again. Ever. no matter what we tell her.

And your daughter is 11....almost in middleschool. The fun begins.

• scryn
    18 years ago

I am not nearly 30yrs old but i have to say that my husband and I are both pro-uniform. My family couldn't afford nice clothes and I can't tell you how much it hurt to not be able to "fit in" because of my hand-me-down clothes. Sure, you would say that if people judge you like that then you don't want to be friends with them. However when you are 12, this is hard on you.
    My husband came from an inner-city school. People were STABBED and beaten up because of their clothing. If you had a jacket that someone wanted they would take it. People approached my husband once and said "Hey, I like your shoes" and he was scared that they were going to hurt him for them. Some clothing details specify what groups or gangs you are in.
    studies have been done showing that having dress codes in these schools reduces violence.
    My individuality doesn't come from what I wear. I work in a hospital and even if I wanted to wear low-cut shirts and hoochey mama clothing I wouldn't be allowed to, this doesn't seem to affect my individuality. Kids can go home and change. They don't need to wear uniforms all day. School is work for children and they should come prepared and looking respectable, just like adults are required to be.
    -renee

• bnicebkind
    18 years ago

Very well said scryn!

• hajir
    17 years ago

i think their gross & im happy my school dont have em. but they can be good cuz then i can spend less time picking out an outfit for school and people will stop competing to see whos dressed the nicest..

• tjklimasg
    17 years ago

I think school uniforms should be required everywhere. My two sons 14 and 15 wear their school uniform nearly everyday, at weekends and school breaks as well. It helps them to concentrate at school and its much cheaper and we have no arguments about clothes, they don't have to come with me to buy their clothes, since they only wear school uniform. I started this uniform rule 2 years ago, their grades were really bad, but now they are among the top students in the school. I said they wear it nearly everyday, ehen they don't wear it, they wear a tuxedo or a suit(on christmas, easter, thanksgiving and bithdays).

The uniform consists of: navy blue dresspants(grey dress shorts in the summer), white long sleeved dress shirt, blue tie, black blazer, knee socks and dress shoes.
    At first they disliked the dress code but now they have grown into it. I'm plannig on enforcing this dresscode until they move out.

• popi_gw
    17 years ago

In Australia all schools wear uniforms. So all children know that is what will happen and dont know any other way.

From a parent's point of view, I love school uniforms. No decisions about what to wear each day. For girls this is fantastic....I have a daughter who spends hours getting dressed when she has a choice of what to wear.

I wore my school uniform with pride.

Also, it is easier for the teachers, when out on a school excursion, to identify all the children under their care. Imagine what it would be like, having each child in their normal clothes, how would you keep track of them all ?

Popi

• hlaverdiere
    17 years ago

I was resistant at first,as I sew unique outfits for my daughter and enjoy individuality. After this 1st year at her new school with Lands End Uniforms, I can honestly say I love it. No, not cheaper, about the same and perhaps more with needing afterschool clothes. We have our 2 uniform drawers in her dresser and it's a definite no brainer in the mornings. And, there are ways to save, such as all short sleeve shirts coupled with 2 sweaters and a sweatshirt.

• jesus
    17 years ago

This is what I say: If you want to force anyone into uniforms especially kids and teenagers, SHUT THE HELL UP!
    Especially the teachers and administrators, those douchebags just put this crap so they wont have to get off their fata.. and do their job. Even then that doesnt work. I'm 17 and my school started the policy last year, ever since my grades went down along with others. The only reason why our school might have a high percentage of passing students is because of the seniors last year. The wore whatever they wanted last year although they had to pay 10 dollars for it and about 95% graduated. As for the rest(9,10,11 graders) either barely passed or failed, I barely passed. I'm tired of paying for their mistakes, they need to know that this is America we have rights, if they take them away then they are no different from a terrorist. Even chipping away at our rights is a terroristic act

• trekaren
    17 years ago

What chips away at our country is youth who do not take ownership for their own actions, and instead seek to find others to blame.

If your grades are down, look somewhere other than your dress code to blame for it.

When you have to hit the real world and find a job, you will find that dress codes will be the least of your problems. Especially if you expect the d-----bags to actually pay you a paycheck.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

Nice language... that is your problem... don't blame the dress code on your problem. You give 17 year olds a bad name.
    And yes, regardless of what today's youth view as acceptable clothing, when you go out to look for a job, those who are neat and well dressed and look like they cared enough to bath and press their clothes for the interview WILL get the job ahead of the bad attitude / entitlement attitude person who applies for that same job.
    I thought they policed these forums... in the old days they did a better job of censoring eejits that post things like that.

• momto1
    17 years ago

Sadly, I think a big part of wearing uniforms these days is the atrocious way that so many kids are arriving at school. Uniforms are a way to make it easier for teachers so they don't have to hassle kids about their dress. If more parents would have a sense of decency about what their kids wear to school it wouldn't be such a problem. I hate to see a 5 or 6 yo girl wearing a t-shirt that says "flirty", or something equally inappropriate. Skirts are short, pants are low, bras are worn sometimes, bellies are hanging out....need I say more?

• klimkm
    17 years ago

Around here the public schools generally do not have a "uniform clause" anyway - UNLESS there is a gang presence / problem. In which the clothes and colors of clothing etc. are used to signifiy memberships or allegiances, etc.

So there is a valid reason for using school uniforms, at times it is public safety. Not a way to "stifle individualism" as so many people wrongly think.

• karinamsu
    17 years ago

I have a serious question that I would appreciate responses to. If your school requires a fancy uniform, like wearing a tie and blazer and dress shoes every day... does it result in an elitist attitude in the students? I am Catholic, and fear that the children will end up very materialistic and snobby if they are always having to dress as if they were going to Easter Mass every day. Don't they look down their nose at the "regular kids" that go to the public school?

• klimkm
    17 years ago

NO I would not say that it will make them materialistic. In fact, kids usually hate wearing those uniforms and can't wait to take them off after school. And they will envy the public school kids for being able to wear what they want.

Been there - 12 years of catholic school. I personally liked the uniforms, but I was just always (and still am) a person who has NO fashion sense at all. I would wear jeans and t-shirts and gym shoes daily if I could. But most girls hated the uniforms.

I thought they were great because you could not tell the rich kids from the poor kids as they all dressed the same. In the public schools, in my experience, there was a big deal about which designer jeans you wore and all that nonsense. I grew up in a town where there were a lot of well to do folks and I heard that the poorer kids felt really left out because the rich kids made fun of you for wearing discount store jeans or gym shoes.

That did not happen in my catholic school environment.

• sheltiemom
    17 years ago

After reading through most of this, I see lots of comments about individuality and cost saving, etc. I teach in an urban middle school (public). We have a uniform policy for none of these reasons. My school is on the fringe of several different gang "territories." If one of my students happened to wear the wrong color, he/she would probably run into trouble on the way to or from school. Our uniform is carefully thought-out so as not to allow for any "representation" of gang-related colors, themes, logos or symbols. Does this take away from their individuality and make them blend? I don't really care, as long as they come to school everyday with some measure of safety.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

sheltiemom: round here the public schools generally do not have a "uniform clause" anyway - UNLESS there is a gang presence / problem. That was in my past post. I totally agree with you!

But Teens are so sensitive about their individuality though... not thinking that it is just SCHOOL. They can be "individual" at the mall after school or at the movies on the weekend. School is for one reason only, to be there to learn in a relatively safe environment.

• ojoy
    17 years ago

I am definitely in favour of school uniforms for the following reasons:
    1) It creates a sense of belonging for the school pupils
    2) The poor children will blend in with the rich children, instead of standing out and being mercilessly teased and bullied.

Those who has expressed such concern about the child's individuality are obviously talking from the view point of those who can afford it. The poster who thought it was great that a child had the freedom to choose to wear black all year probably doesn't know what it is like for the poor child who might only have one outfit to wear all year. That child may be one of those mercilessly bullied.

In my home country, public (government) have uniforms and the private schools might not have uniforms. This makes far more sense than the North American approach of public schools not having uniforms but private schools having uniforms. Public schools are more likely to have a greater mix of children from different socio-economic groups, than private schools. We were normally able to buy second-hand uniforms, either through the school or by checking in the local newspaper. The newspaper/s would have a special section especially for uniforms where people could list which school's uniforms they had available. We were also not allowed to plaster our faces with make up, nor wear jewelery. I don't agree with young girls plastering their faces with make up, just to go to school.

Those who are so concerned about expressing their individuality have plenty of opportunity to do so in their after school clothes. Typically the friends children hang out with after school will be of a similar socio-economic group. So the rich girls can hang out at the malls or where ever, free to express their individuality there. The poorer children that hang out together will understand that their friends can't afford the latest fashions etc.

• megan2010_live_ca
    12 years ago

I am a student and disargee with the whole school unifroms thing. people say that they improve your grades in school but how can they,they are just clothes.

what if a 9th or 10th grade student deicied to attack a senior how would they discribe the attacker?

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

My daughter used to agonize over what to wear to school each day, was late a few times from changing, trying on, getting mad. It was all about who would make fun of that brand of jeans or shoes, etc. She really wanted to have uniforms just so she could concentrate on learning, not on what to wear. A friend said her son in 9th grade was so distracted by the how the girls were dressed that he had a hard time concentrating. In spite of dress code there were cleavages, short skirts, tight, gaping sweaters, falling off the shoulder, etc. We never did have uniforms but I think my family would have liked it. Express yourself with your personality or your words, not your Abercrombie shirts.

• kushy28
    11 years ago

Hi all!!!
    I too agree that it is the best idea and we should appreciate the one who has started this first.
    Not only for the benefit of expenses, confusion relief is also there and the main thing it will not show any economic difference which will be an obstruction for growth of kid.

• fruitlover59
    10 years ago

I am not a fan of uniforms. That's why I send my kids to public school.

• Shelley29
    9 years ago

Like there are two sides to every coin, same is the case with the argument of school uniforms. Here's what I think in this regard:

The pluses:
    1. Overall less cost: Compared to what the children would actually prefer to wear had there been no uniforms.
    2. Works towards inculcating a sense of discipline in the child.
    3. Contributes towards a sense of overall uniformity among the students as a whole - the primary goal of keeping uniforms in the first place.

The minuses:
    1. Zero individuality - but then there's always the option of showing your individuality elsewhere, apart from school.
    2. Financial burden - to lower income families.
    3. May lessen the comfort level of the child.

However, on the whole, I am of the view that school uniforms are a part and parcel of every educational institution and need to continue being that way - there are many more pluses than minuses when you look at it practically.

Sponsored
Risa King Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Virginia Beach