SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_gw

Keep a 5th grader back? (long)

Grandma
22 years ago

My grandson is having difficulty in school - he's not unintelligent, but he's lazy and irresponsible and does not complete assignments. I don't know that he is flunking anything but his grades are not what they should be.

The school system has proposed that beginning when he goes back to school after the Christmas break, he be told that he is totally responsible for doing his assignments and that his parents are no longer going to be on his back to see that he gets them done. If he does not take responsibility, he will be kept back to repeat 5th grade.

As I said, this boy is not unintelligent. For Christmas he received a gift of a roller coaster to construct. The package contains over 1,000 parts and has an instruction book approximately 100 pages long. In 1 1/2 hours yesterday, he had reached the 30th page of the book and had the basic frame of the coaster constructed. That alone tells me that he is very intelligent.

I've been thinking about this and I feel that the parents should refuse to go along with the repeating the grade level portion of the school's proposal. (BTW, my daughter has asked me what I would do in this situation.)

It's my feeling that the school is teaching my grandson (and all students) to pass the state tests. They are not teaching to the best interest of the child, but rather to the best interest of the school system.

I applaud those parents in NY state who refused to let their children take a state exam. If this were my child, I would do the same - just tell the system, that no, he is not taking the test and as long as he is passing all his classes, I would not allow him to be kept back. (I have a friend who is an elementary principal and wishes more parents would stand up to the state against standardized testing.)

If and when the school teaches to his best interests, then the parents can discuss consequences for his laziness, but not until then. Yes, he should have consequences, but repeating 5th grade when he is obviously intelligent is not one of them.

I think it would in the end be more detrimental to retain him than to pass him.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH