SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
relyks_gw

Why school sucks

relyks
14 years ago

Entertain me:

I know many other countries besides the United States have compulsory education laws and I'm sure that in many of those "learning" in public schools is also heavily standardized. I've reached the conclusion that standardized curriculum based education, and to a lesser extent compulsory education, serves no purpose whatsoever other than than to limit the imaginations and thoughts of young people. Through such things as tests and grades schools, instead of helping the future generation of leaders, are harming them by squashing the thirst for knowledge.

Instead of simply learning to expand their minds today's young people are subjected to a system where "learning" means making good grades. It's absolutely horrifying that a system largely influenced by 19th century Prussian conformist idealogy is seen as something useful in the quest to progress humanity. It comes off as some kind of sick and twisted joke. Instead of being forced to compete against each other when it comes to grades and tests, and only memorizing some relatively useless facts people should be free to learn what they want. Schools should be a place where the people choose to learn and not learn what they want. If a first grader wishes to explore outer space, I say we should encourage him or her. We should provide him or her with the resources on astronomy and allow the student to decide what to do with those resources.

If a tenth graders dreams of curing cancer then by all means that student should be free to study and learn all he or she can without interference of tests, grades and homework. The point is that allowing students to study what they want is far more useful to society than having them memorize facts for a test.

The short version: Schools should be a place of learning, not of torture.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022