Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English teacher

Posted by Roselin32 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 26, 02 at 11:29

Is there an English teacher out there that will tell me if the phrase "so fun" is correct or not? I keep hearing people saying, "Such and such is so fun." and I am sure this is not correct?? Perhaps I am just dating myself??
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English teacher

My copy of Strunk and White (copyright 1979) says this for the use of the word so:

So. Avoid, in writing, the use of so as an intensifier: "so good"; "so warm"; "so delightful."

Rarely does this edition mention "in writing" explicitly. I'm not sure why this particular word included the "in writing" part. I suspect it might be considered acceptable in a casual spoken use, but not in a more formal written use.

There is debate as to whether books such as Elements of Style proscribe or describe proper usage.

o

Oh, an opportunity to post one of my favorite websites!
Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Errors In English

o

It seems both of these resources indicate that "so fun" would certainly be frowned upon, but don't quite go so far as to say it is completely incorrect.

o

Duckie,
You are correct but at my age, I don't want to be perceived as a "gum chewing airhead"!!

o

The phrase "so fun" is not acceptable in writing. Colloquial language such as that should only be used when in conversation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here