Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boarding schools for troubled teens

Posted by giantscale13 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 11:04

We are looking for a boarding school in the Iowa area. Our 14 year old son has failed 8th grade twice. Hes proven to be very intelligent but defies anyone who tries to guide him.

Its not easy researching boarding schools but Iv yet to hear a horror story. Most school web sites look good. And claim great success rates. We are looking at Midwest Academy http://www.familyfirstaid.org/midwest.html but the tuition is around $45000 a year. Twice as much as college tuition and about as much as I make in one year.

Can anyone direct me to a forum or agency who reviews, rates or has true unbiased testimonials about boarding schools?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boarding schools for troubled teens

Just a update.

After some research I found this site. http://www.wwaspsinfo.net/index.html
These are the horror stories of the schools I was recommended and actually considered. It shows the Law suit against Robert Lichfield who nets over 90 million a year owning and operating these schools.

This is scary stuff..

o

It's certainly NOT near Iowa... but the Hyde School in Maine is suppose to be wonderful... this from a psychologist friend who has taken their courses for parents and read their book on how they work... don't have a clue to cost, but maybe getting the book would be a beneficial starting point for help for you at home???The Biggest Job We'll Ever Have: The Hyde School Program for Character-Based Education and Parenting ... you can get it used off amazon for under $10 I believe....
it's

o

Eons ago, my cousin had trouble succeeding in his Chicago area school. He was sent to a military school and bloomed there. We always assumed he responded well to immediate consequences and the orderliness of life. Bishops Quarters may have been the name of the school; not sure if that was the military school or another school he attended.

o

We are enrolling our 13 yo son at OBI in KY. I have a brother who graduated from there years ago and loved it. My son is really strugging in school and we think that the 11/1 student/teacher ratio will be a big improvement for him. He has an average of 35 students in his public school now. Is there anyone out there that can reassure me?

o

I have friends who were sent to boarding schools for alcohol and failing reasons. So far they have improved and have actually made honor roll. There they have learnt so far to be responsilbe as they are given chores every week.

o

Have you taken a parenting class? Tested your son for learning diabilities?

o

Hi

This will help, It's a teen boarding school for boy and girls. I search it and this will provide you some useful information about programs of boarding schools for trouble teens.

o

If you want your teen to be a strong and self sufficient individual, the military boarding school is the answer to your problems. They are great for teens who do not have any major behavioral issues, but just require more structure in their lives. See the link for online resource for anything you need to know about military boarding schools.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here