Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homeschooling inquiry

Posted by sameboat (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 10:13

There are boys in my neighborhood who used to attended a private school in another town. Last year they attend the private school some of the time and some of the time they went to the public school. Now they don't appear to go to school at all (ages 8 and 11). I believe that they are being home schooled, but due to specific reasons (I won't get into here) I don't believe the at-home parent is qualified or capable. And if the school board were to visit the home I am certain they would not be allowed to home school the children. It is a filthy environment and the children do not have guests other than very close family. I also heard through the grapevine that they never formally withdrew from the private school. Not to be a nosy neighbor but I think the children could very well be emotionally abused and cannot believe that the superintendent would allow this person to home-school the children. They appear to be slaved away doing yard work day and night. Yes, night. What are the criteria for runing an at-home school, and is it that easy that you stop bringing your children to school and nobody notices?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homeschooling inquiry

Every state has different laws regarding homeschooling. You might see if you can do some research online, before contacting any authorities in your local school district or higher. Some states require yearly testing, others don't.

DonnaR/CA

o
RE: Homeschooling inquiry

I'm a homeschooling mom. Because I am dealing with fewer children, I can get more done in less time than a school can. This gives my children a lot of free time. And I often wonder what my neighbors think when my kids are out playing when other kids are in school. I agree with DonnaR that you should check the homeschool laws for your state. I also think you should talk to your neighbor. I get A LOT of questions about homeschooling, and I'm happy to share how my homeschool runs with concerned or interested folks. Where I live I must report to my local school district, hire an evaluator to review my children's work, keep a log and portfolio of all schooling, fulfill the state's educational requirements (I just can't teach them what I want) and get my kids tested. So it is pretty strict. Good luck, and thanks for caring about your neighbor's kids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here