Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling home for son's college education?

Posted by aaaaaaaa (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 8:43

Hi All,
My son will be going off to college in next two years. He is now in Junior High.
The way things are going on now a days (in general) I am concerned if I will have enough funds to put him through the college.
I am planning to put my home in the market next spring and raise some funds for the cause.

Question is -- is this a bad idea? Is it safe to still own a home while my son goes to college and borrow loan on the house? This way I have to pay both the college loan as well as the mortgage plus the interest. That I cannot afford.

I was not sure if this is the right forum to post this--but still related to education.

Any suggestion/advice is welcome related to the concern.

Thank you in advance.
Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling home for son's college education?

I wouldn't! When he enters high school, they will have parent meetings that will guide you through the loan process. There are some student loans that will work for you. He can also apply for student aid, scholarships, pell grants, etc. You want to keep your home so you can write off the interest at tax time. Also, where would you live? What if he drops out? Lots to consider.

o

That is a really bad idea. There are lots of options for your son. If you seriously considering doing this, you should consult an investment advisor. Your son should be expected to work thru college. He can go to a more affordable college. Depending on what he is going for, there's a possibilty of loan forgiveness. Also, if he is planning on going for something that nets lots of money, he'll be able to repay it quickly.

I'm not sure when parents decided they needed to fund their kid's college education. My daughter just graduated from college this year. I did not fund her college. I helped her out, but I did not fund it and I did not go into debt for her college. I really believe that if a person wants it bad enough, they will find a way. By the way, she owes about $10,000. That is not much to owe by college standards.

o

Do not sell your home for college $. First, i would go to your son's future high school career center or guidance dept..they will have a wealth of information to give you regarding loans, grants, scholarships, etc. if finances are really tight, he can live at home and attend a local community college for two years then transfer, usually quite easily, to a four year college. If he does go away to college, he can do work-study, be an RA in his dorm, etc. my nephew got a big break on tuition by helping to manage the basketball team...plus he got to travel with the team! Depending on where you live and what your son wants to study, there is the Academic Common Market.....if no college in your state has your major, you can go out of state but pay in-state tuition. This is what my son did.....you have a lot of options...but don't sell your house OR touch your retirement accounts to pay for college!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here