Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
school journals

Posted by arandygail (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 02 at 20:28

My daughter is in second grade. In her class they do a daily writing journal where they have to write a paragraph on a topic of her choice. She often has difficulty coming up with a topic. Therefore, I am trying to develop a list of possible topics for her to consult when she is having trouble. I have found many lists of high-school related topics, but I can not find any that are good for elementary. Has anyone ever come across a list? or have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: school journals

For second grade...how about her favorite food, color, friends, places, toys, movies, etc., and a breif "why" with them? Maybe she could write about a special time she had with a relative, or a vacation, a pet? Her favorite season, or "Why I like fall....", hope I helped get you started!:)

o

Last weekend I....
My dream vacation is...
My favorite book was about....
I got a new pet...
I did a really cool thing the other day...
Today I learned (or want to learn)....
Today I am happy about....
Today I am sad about.....
If I could change something, I would change....
When I am a mom (dad) my rules will be....
I think I am going to be friends with______because....
I saw a good movie.....
Did you know......
____________has a new baby in their family......
My goal for tomorrow (next week, month, etc)....
I am so excited about......
When I am 10, I want to....
I am worried about.....
The person I admire most is....
The nice thing I am going to do for my brother (sister, mom, etc,) is...
When I grow up......
I think being a grown up is cool because...
I think being a kid is cool because.....
I wish my teacher would teach us about....
I remember when....
I wish ______wouldn't have moved away because...
My favorite animal at the zoo is.....
I felt really sorry for my friend when.....
My favorite old person is.....
I am good at....
I am not so good at.....
The thing that makes me really mad is....
My favorite birthday was when I turned....

o

Students write best about what they know. So make a list of things she knows about--her favorite ball game--how to play it, recess game, dessert, grandma, song. What her room looks like, what she likes on TV, what she wouold eat for her meal of favorite foods, what her brother or sister is like.

o

Have any of these helped??:) Just wanting an update, how is she doing with her journal?

o

Thanks for all of your help. I printed your responses and my daughter highlighted those that interested her. She put them in her writing folder for those time when she has writer's block.

o

Great!! Glad we could help!:)

o

I had to do the same when I was in second grade. One day my teacher asked me how many cousins I had because it was always "my cousin's" birthday party.
Jimbo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here