Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I break it to my son...?

Posted by ramrice (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 16:10

...that I want to put him in a private school? I am very unhappy with the curriculum in his school district, and there is a very good Lutheran school in our town. The atmosphere is very relaxed (no uniforms), and the curriculum is very good. I want to put him in there after Christmas break.

I have to arrange a meeting for him to tour the school and meet the principal, and the principal will let me know at that time if he is accepted or not.

My son knows that his curriculum is bad (I'm always groaning when he brings home his Everyday Math homework), but he likes the school he attends.

Please help if you've been in this situation or have any good advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I break it to my son...?

How old is your son? Assuming he is in elementary school, I would keep a couple of things in mind when you tell him. First, take him somewhere neutral where he can't go running off to his room (make an ice-cream shoppe?). Your tone will be hugely important. You don't want to convey that you are 'discussing' this in the sense that you are looking for his input to make this decision. You have to walk that fine line of being confident and positive about your decision, but empathetic about his feelings of leaving the familiar, the potential loss of his friends, etc. Like all of us, children want to be *heard*, so really listen. And you don't have to have a solution to everything... "But I'll NEVER see my friends!!!" Clarify and empathize before you offer a fix for anything. "Are you worried that you won't see them every day? Or that you'll never see them again in your whole life?" "How would you feel about seeing friends at least twice a week after school?" If there are specific things about the school that will appeal to him (a computer club, a certain sports team...) bring those up AFTER you have won him over a little bit. Don't look for him to accept and rejoice in this decision quickly -give him empathy and time to adjust. But just don't waver or give him false hope that enough of a tantrum will change things.

Good luck, I know this is hard. But it is the right thing to do...

o

Thanks, Bestyears, that is good advice.

My son is in 2nd grade now, so I wanted to make the transition as early as possible. He has friends at school, though none of them have invited him over to play yet. Part of the reason is because a lot of them are in afterschool sports and he isn't. He is in karate at the park district.

I always tell him he can invite anyone over that he wants and will continue to do so.

I was also going to tell him that he'll probably be going to high school with most of these kids as well.

o

You're so welcome. My own son is 16 now, and I'm certain he was in second grade just last month (LOL!). I wish you well with this...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here