Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just got DS's CogAT scores - school says he's 'gifted'

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 14:58

DS is 10 (will be 11 next month), the youngest in his class (there are two 12 yr olds). The 5th grade took the CogAT (Form 6, level D) in May, his CogAT scores - 99 percentile Verbal 99 percentile Quantitative, 95 percentile Nonverbal. Raw scores are 62/65 verbal, 59/60 quantitative, and 60/65 nonverbal. Not sure what "SAS" is - look like IQ but I know it's not, so may get more info from the percentile rankings? If mean is 100 and SD is 16, he's more than 2 SDs above norm in all but nonverbal. The local mean was 113 but he's still above that (that was a composite, don't know if nonverbal was that high locally but I'm assuming all scores are normalized to 100 nationally, no matter which section of the test we're talking about). Even that was more than 1 SD above, but his "score" was 9C(Q+N-).

Principal says they have no G/T program, but teachers are willing to work with students, they *do* try to differentiate as much as possible, so extensions/modifications I was suggesting (such as requiring an Abstract, References in the lab report DS was supposed to hand in today but had trouble printing) seemed reasonable. I can talk to each of the teachers about possible modifications to assignments, pretesting, etc. one-on-one. They do have the school psychologist giving lessons in time management, prioritization, etc. to all the 6th graders - principal said to ask DS what he has learned so far (he hasn't learned to print out his report ahead of time LOL - he had so many fonts and colors - one per paragraph - that a 2 page report was 85K and wouldn't print! We had a quick talk about legibility before he got on the bus.)

I emailed his lab report to the science teacher, asked about setting up conference since we will be on vacation when they are doing conferences just before Thanksgiving.

Can anybody think of anything else I should have asked the principal, or that I should ask the teachers? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just got DS's CogAT scores - school says he's 'gifted'

I just got a phone call from DS's math teacher. Turns out that she offered him an extension to do something called webquest last week. It would run for 5 weeks, in which time he would be asked to devote 30 minutes twice a week instead of doing homework two nights, and then another hour during the week or weekend, so total of 10 hours (she has even had kids in the past complete it in 5 hours). She sent me the presentation she gave the kids last week - it's asking them to do research on things like how a player's weight might impact how many home runs he hits, does a player's height correlate with how many rebounds he gets, etc.

He turned it down, not once, but THREE times that she asked, the latest being today. He said "he didn't have time." This sounds like the sort of thing I was asking the principal for this morning and he's declining it! Is it just b/c he can do his math HW on the bus, and this would actually require a computer so would cut into his "free" time? I think he can *read* on the bus, and I have to start limiting the Gameboy time (meant to take it away last month so I could monitor/limit his "screen time" but I forgot). Or is it b/c he's worried it will be "too hard" and he won't do as well (like I said, he does his math HW on the bus, it's not a challenge)? He's always been a perfectionist and afraid to try new things unless he's sure he'll be good at them. But she told the kids that this would not count against them if they had trouble, and would not count against them if they declined. She said 3 kids declined. But she was clearly upset that he has refused. *I'm* upset that he didn't even *mention* this to us!

How do I motivate him to take advantage of these opportunities instead of just "cruising" along in the regular curriculum?

o

Perhaps he is a little young for all this, and so I suggest you try moving ahead with baby steps so that he will discover he can do it at his own pace. I have a son like this, and the biggest problem we had was convincing him that he was bright and able to do more than he thought he could.

o

Don't push him if he is not interested. Limit the video games and help him find things HE wants to pursue. Why should he be forced to do things in which he has no interest just because he is smart?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here