SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Just got DS's CogAT scores - school says he's 'gifted'

2ajsmama
14 years ago

DS is 10 (will be 11 next month), the youngest in his class (there are two 12 yr olds). The 5th grade took the CogAT (Form 6, level D) in May, his CogAT scores - 99 percentile Verbal 99 percentile Quantitative, 95 percentile Nonverbal. Raw scores are 62/65 verbal, 59/60 quantitative, and 60/65 nonverbal. Not sure what "SAS" is - look like IQ but I know it's not, so may get more info from the percentile rankings? If mean is 100 and SD is 16, he's more than 2 SDs above norm in all but nonverbal. The local mean was 113 but he's still above that (that was a composite, don't know if nonverbal was that high locally but I'm assuming all scores are normalized to 100 nationally, no matter which section of the test we're talking about). Even that was more than 1 SD above, but his "score" was 9C(Q+N-).

Principal says they have no G/T program, but teachers are willing to work with students, they *do* try to differentiate as much as possible, so extensions/modifications I was suggesting (such as requiring an Abstract, References in the lab report DS was supposed to hand in today but had trouble printing) seemed reasonable. I can talk to each of the teachers about possible modifications to assignments, pretesting, etc. one-on-one. They do have the school psychologist giving lessons in time management, prioritization, etc. to all the 6th graders - principal said to ask DS what he has learned so far (he hasn't learned to print out his report ahead of time LOL - he had so many fonts and colors - one per paragraph - that a 2 page report was 85K and wouldn't print! We had a quick talk about legibility before he got on the bus.)

I emailed his lab report to the science teacher, asked about setting up conference since we will be on vacation when they are doing conferences just before Thanksgiving.

Can anybody think of anything else I should have asked the principal, or that I should ask the teachers? Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner