SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beada_gw

Need advice on Preschool child's behavior

Beada
21 years ago

We have a 3 1/2 year old preschool child with Down Syndrome who has been a "pill" lately. His teacher happens to also be his mother and since I am the lone special ed teacher at our school, she has come to me for help. She feels like he is doing it at school because she is his mother but the behavior is also carrying over at home. He is doing things like getting off his cot at nap time, not cleaning up after playtime, etc. This may seem minor, but apparently it is disrupting the class and he did not do these things at his former preschool class. (This is the first year we have had a preschool class at our school so everything is totally new.) I suggested she saturate him with rewards for compliance and gradually wean him off of them. However, he really doesn't have any concept of cause/effect, so he wouldn't understand what he would have to do to get the reward or why he doesn't get it. I have absolutely no experience to speak of with either preschool aged children OR children with Down Syndrome. Does anyone have any advice for us? Is this typical behavior? Could it be developmental? What can we do to turn this around? Any suggestions would be welcome. TIA!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA