SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trekaren

Some type of learning disability?

trekaren
21 years ago

I know there are some mom's of special needs children here.

My friend's son has some idiosyncracies, that left her desiring to learn more, but the pediatrician hasn't been much help so far.

The boy is just turned 2. He is small for his age, and he walked late. The pediatrician didn't seem concerned. He does not speak very many words, but he "KNOWS" a great deal of vocabulary. For example, anything you ask him about, and he can show you what it is. Where is the fan? Where is mommy? Where is the doll? Where is the truck? Literally dozens of words he recognizes and can identify the object they are associated with.

Some words, he tries to speak. Cake becomes "ake", his sister Emily becomes "eee".

"mom" and "dad" and "grampa" come out fine.

Other words, he gets exactly backwards. Like shoe becomes "oosh". And he knows what a shoe is, but he just says "oosh, oosh." Other words come out exactly backwards like this, too.

Playing cars, I said "beep beep!" and he replied, "deet, deet."

He almost reminds me of verbal dyslexia, if there was such a thing. But all the learning disability web sites discuss issues in older children. I was so curious by the word reversing, and wondered if anyone here ever heard of this.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored