SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Question for 2nd grade teachers

jojoco
16 years ago

My son's teacher instituted a behavior form that comes home everyday. She does this for every child. On it are 7 different areas with a blank by each. Ie, in the classroom, at specials, walking down the hall, in the lunch room, during reading...In each blank, the teacher writes the number of times she had to talk to the child and then below offers a child's perspective. It may say "My teacher had to talk to me _____ times today during quiet work. The blank is filled in and below it says something like:

I was quiet almost all of the time

I disturbed my peers too much

I made it very hard for everyone to work...

Not verbatim, but fairly close.

Anyway, her class is a very easy class with 20 easy going kids. I am fairly certain that we don't even have any kids with behavioral issues (small town, same kids year after year). For the most part, my son has been bringing home these papers with zeros in each blank. But, on occasion, he gets a one in a category or two. I don't mind, he is 7 and is learning the rules. But he minds and has come home upset by it, despite my saying it is okay, still early in the year etc. But my thoughts are that this is a daily report card and makes every day a chance to succeed or fail for these kids. It seems like a lot of pressure to be perfect. As soon as he gets a mark, he feels like he failed. Am I overthinking this and is this system a good thing? Also, seems she must spend an awful lot of time each day keeping track and handing out the sheets. I am not planning on doing anything, I just want some professional input.

Thanks. Oh, and for all who say I really don't know how easy going these kids are, you are of course right. I am not in her class, but I coach many of these kids in soccer and ice hockey and know almost all of them on a casual level. She has a gentle group.

Jo

Comments (6)

Sponsored