SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

block scheduling vs. traditional schedule

sleeperblues
19 years ago

Does anyone out there have any experience with the block scheduling system, where student have four 84 minute classes per school day, and certain classes are half block, like PE, band and choir? My kids attend a small school with less than 500 students K-12 and 7-12 use the full block system, which is rife with problems. For example, last year when my son was in grade 7 he had math the first half of the year, and this year will not have math until the last half of the year. Meanwhile, the class will take the standardized state testing in November, and I can't beleive these kids are going to remember math from a year ago. Our math scores are in need of improvement (a school board goal, in fact) but with scheduling like this there will be no way to improve. I know I certainly can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, so how are we expecting these kids to remember complex math facts from a year ago. Part of the problem is the school prinicpal is very autocratic and insists this schedule works, despite much parental disagreement. The school board seems unwilling to "micromanage" and we as parents are at our wits end. There are many other problems with the block schedule system besides just math, but I'd be typing forever to state them all. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored