SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lainy_gw

Permission to Release Grades

Lainy
21 years ago

My son has just started his first year at college. When we went to orientation, they had separate programs (run simultaneously) for the incoming freshman and for the parents. In their orientation, the students were told that unless a student signed and submitted a special authorization form (which they were all given), their grades will be kept private and not released at any time to their parent(s) or guardian. We parents were advised of this at our session, so that we'd be aware of this policy. I was wondering if this is a normal thing for colleges to do nowadays?

When we got home from orientation I noticed that my son had not signed or handed in the Grade Release Authorization Form. I felt awkward about it because clearly that meant he would rather I not know what his grades will be (or he simply wants to decide what to tell me and what not to). In a way I also felt hurt, because ever since 1st grade his father would put him (any myself) through six kinds of h**l every time a report card came out, because anything less than an A- or a 90 was "unacceptable" to him. On the other hand I never considered anything cause for concern unless it was lower than C+ or 72, and they both knew this. His father died last fall and so my son knows that he won't be under the kind of pressure in college that he was put through for the last 12 years - so his reluctance to want me to know his grades, is puzzling me. He is, by the way, going to a college of his choice - not one of the ones his father would have insisted he attend whether he wanted to go there or not.

I am wondering if anyone else has run up against this situation in college and whether you think the "Permission Needed" policy is a good or a bad thing?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored