SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurabmom3

Parent Involvement

LauraBMom3
21 years ago

My question is twofold. My oldest son just started kindergarten 2 weeks ago. I have him in a public school that is average. It is not the highest ranked in our area. I am starting to see many "red Flags". First - I am not allowed to volunter in his classroom - it is a distict policy. I may however work in another classroom. While this is all well and good I want to be with MY child, seeing what his day is like. I believe its important for him to have me involved. When I have inquired - I have been told that it's easier for the kids to know who they must listen to - and who is responsible for them. On another occasion I was told - by his teacher - something about a parent "snooping" (I was distracted from the conversation & was not able to hear the end of her answer). Apparently this has been the rule for 15+ years. I find it quite disconcerting!!! Second - this is his first year in public school (actually I have had him in a wonderful pre-school for three years) and I am not receiving any day to day correspondence from his teacher. I do receive a monthly list of specials. I called her & she tried to put me at ease but sort of made me feel like I was overreacting.

This leads me to the second part of my question. I am thinking of taking him out & putting him in a Catholic school. Am I jumping the gun? Expecting too much? I'm not sure if I am spoiled from the wonderful experience he had in preschool or just alarmed at the dislocation I feel from his education. I did attend Catholic school most of my life so perhaps it's what I know. Please help me gain a little more perspective here - I do not want to be rash. Thank you so much!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored