SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syak_gw

What would you do?

syak
21 years ago

I have 13yr old 8th grade student that has always stuggled academically in school. I worked closely with her and her teachers every year to keep her grades up. By the time she was in 4th grade she was diagnosed with ADHD. We tried medication at the time but really didn't see an improvement so we eventually took her off. Did modifications in the classroom that seem to help somewhat. Up to that point and every year before I would ask her teacher why would she have so much trouble. Could it be this or that? Always the answer came back that she was at grade level or just below and that she would catch up. We had her tested for learning disablilties through the school and through an outside educational psychologist. Both came up with her being at grade level with low reading scores. Nothing that a little effort on her part couldn't improve. She did not qualify for special resources. Well we continued the same path with each year no better than the last. In 7th grade

her grades dropped even more. I knew there still had to be something. I felt like I was the only one talking and no one was listening. How could a student score at grade level across the board still end up with D's and F's. I saw she wanted to do good. She worked very hard yet still would end up with the low grades. This summer I took her to yet another educational psychologist to see if he could test her and help me fine tune her accomadation plan at school. He said she never learned her basic phonics! On top of that she was dyslexic. Okay now I had a road to follow but how? I don't and can't trust the school to give her the help she needs anymore. We have looked into Sylvin Learning Center. It seems like a good program but to be honest I was surprised at the cost and the time commitment if would take to bring her up to her current grade level. I would find a way to pay it in a minute if I new for sure it would be the answer I am looking for but life holds no guarentees. There is also a program called the Drake Institute but again I don't know enough about the program other that what I have seen on the web site and a brochure they sent me. I don't know if I should do the Sylvin, the Drake, Hooked on phonics at home, go back to the school....

Has anyone worked with any of the aboved mentioned? I am kinda going in circles here right now.......What would you do?

Comments (8)

Sponsored