Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phonics

Posted by TREKaren (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 02 at 14:35

Anyone here hear of the "Happily Ever After" program to learn phonics?

Anyone have any feedback regarding phonics in general, as a curriculum for teaching reading, as opposed to other reading curriculums?

(kindergarten level)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phonics

Everyone seems to love the Open Court series, especially the older, experienced teachers.

o

I'm less nervous than I was. When I heard 'phonics', I thought of the way they taught reading to some children when I was in school years ago. But apparently, this is now called the "Whole Language" method. The thinking now is that Whole Language leads to average readers and terrible spellers. So I think I have found all the info I need to understand what they will be teaching here at the new school.

o

TREKaren,

Is this a phonics package, or a cirriculum? If it's a package, like Hooked on Phonics or The Phonics Game, you could probably check it out from your local library. I got both of the ones I mentioned from my library, and WAS NOT impressed. They were too complicated and my kids thought they were boring.

My oldest son had a TERRIBLE time learning to read. I took him to a reading tutor who used the Reading Reflex/Auto-Graphics method and it really "clicked". This method is how we were taught to read in the 60s before "phonics" was the hot method. I can't remember the URL but if you do a search for Reading Reflex you'll find their website.

Good luck!

o

Whole language is not researched based. Alone, it is not enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here