Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The need to abolish mandatory schooling

Posted by deathontwolegs (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 3:41

Yes, that's right. I am completely against mandatory schooling, I believe it is very damaging, does favors to no one, and needs to be gotten rid of immediately. Please note: I am not against learning. There is a difference between forced schooling and the enjoyment of learning.

Why should we get rid of it as soon as possible? For several reasons:

1) People, or children, are different by nature. We all have different lifestyles and likes. So why should we be required to attend school, something that does not work for the majority of people, for years, being forced to do pointless work?

2) Additionally, we have lives. God forbid you don't go to school, or do your homework, despite the fact that you had no say in the matter. I find it a constant source of amazement when people wonder why their kids are doing poorly in school... of course they're doing badly, that is to be expected! They don't like it there, which many parents completely ignore.

3) Intelligence and knowledge is diverse. School fits ONE shoe, ONE mold, ONE system, and that's it. And again, god forbid you if you say otherwise.

To say that mandatory schooling in any way represents a free nation or that it represents "strong values" or a "stimulating learning environment" is completely false.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The need to abolish mandatory schooling

Great points, and I completely agree; but what are the alternatives? I know about homeschooling, but is this universally accepted once the child is "of age"?
Should there be more alternative schools established with more of an "unschooling" approach? Would these schools prepare youth for trades or be college prep?

o

Deathontwolegs, Sorry, you've got to go to school. Its the law and there's a good reason for it. I'm sure you'd rather sleep late, hang out with your friends, and play video games all day than go to school and learn things like math, English, science and social studies that may someday turn you into a responsible productive citizen. Guess what, the real world has rules, regulations and expectations also. So get used to it! Nobody gets to live their life doing exactly as they please.

So suck it up, go to school, do your homework, mind your teachers and do your part to become an informed, productive citizen.

o

Deathontwolegs....what grade are you actually enrolled in for school and what grade *should* you be in per your chronological age?

I agree 100% with wireweiners. There are excellent reasons behind most of the school requirement (not every decision is right for all), but deal with it, and become a productive citizen.

o

John Taylor Gatto, a Teacher of the Year for several years running in New York state, has some serious things to say about this matter. I highly recommend his website, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Taylor Gatto website

o

In Ohio, parents are free to homeschool their children. School isn't mandatory for parents who want to educate their child themselves.

o

im not necessarity against mandatory schooling, because it would be almost impossible and incredlously expensive for us to learn advanced subjects by oursleves, however i will agree that the way in which academics are executed are utterly pathetic and they do so little to help people that you actually degrade as a human being by being subjected to them

school is necessary but the idiocy in which it is run could be abolished and some true academic prowess could be shoved in until uou actually left knowing something everyday instead of hating the admin because they dont like the way you dress

and as for being an informed, productive citizen...did that phrase come directly from you schools "statement" towards it students about 10 or 20 years ago

im not cutting you guys down, but the system hasd lost a lot of efficency since even a few years ago, and if you were agitated by it everyday like the students now, youd be very belligent and anti-school as well

o

I have nothing but "praise" for our kids teachers. They helped me make my kids what they are today. I could not have done it without their help.. Many kids and parents are so different today,. The kids want to do their own thing and the parents want them to also. NO DICIPLINE.. I believe in freedom but there is a place for everything. I say if you don't want your kids in school then home school them yourself. Kids and parents that don't want their kids there are a disruption to the class anyway. I have seen kids that have no respect for anyone or anything. Sad picture. This is just life. I wanted our kids to have the best chance at life that they could got. School was a huge part of it for us...

Susie

o

"Deathontwolegs, Sorry, you've got to go to school. Its the law and there's a good reason for it. I'm sure you'd rather sleep late, hang out with your friends, and play video games all day than go to school and learn things like math, English, science and social studies that may someday turn you into a responsible productive citizen. Guess what, the real world has rules, regulations and expectations also. So get used to it! Nobody gets to live their life doing exactly as they please.

So suck it up, go to school, do your homework, mind your teachers and do your part to become an informed, productive citizen."

Ad baculum, ad hominem, ad baculum. Fallacious argument diagnosed and summarily dismissed.
If you are going to claim that there is good reason for school, you'd better be prepared to back it up. I've heard it said that an adolescent of average intelligence can learn an ENTIRE grade school's (1-12) worth of math in a matter of months. I don't have the sources to back that up, but I'd like to see opposing documentation proving that it takes 12 years. So why aren't kids offered 'graduate early if you can prove you know enough of math that's necessary' tests sometime in their schooling? Because it's not the math that matters. Better question, what constitutes "necessary" mathematical aptitude in the first place? Let's see, you've got to know enough to make change for each denomination of bill and coin in circulation. You've got to be able to read speed limit signs. After that much, what else needs to be done that can't be solved with a calculator?
But even that's misleading, since it suggests that anyone who didn't go to school would need one to function in everyday society, which is patently false as proven by the thriving homeschooling movement (where it is legal).
I believe that in order to live and collaborate with others peacefully, only three things are required:
1. The discipline to leave others alone when they request.
2. The knowledge to sustain yourself hygienically speaking (food, cleanliness, all those basics).
3. Standard early-age developmental socialization with other humans.
In the vast majority of cases, all three of these are provided by a person's family. In the minority where that is not the case, it is your duty as defender of the status quo to prove that a 12-year stint in a glorified concentration camp - for everyone - is the necessary remedy.
Seems to me as absurd as advising that the punishment for thirst should be compulsory drowning.

Peace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here