Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Today's Farm---the value of farming....

Posted by Arkansasgardenboy (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 02 at 18:11

Do you have an FFA program at your school? Were you a member when you attended school? I enjoyed it and it had a real important part in my life...My children were all able to participate in the Future Farmers of America (FFA). How about yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
National FFA Organization

http://www.ffa.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: http;//www.ffa.org/

o
RE: Today's Farm---the value of farming....

There was no FFA at my school. My dad was president of FFA when he was in school. Now he is an organic farmer.

I think both FFA and FHA (future homemakers of america) are really cool, I wish they'd been around at my school. I would join them both now if someone offered. I am a pretty good gardener but not at all good at sewing.

o

Unfortunately I don't think our school's place enough value on these (FFA & FHA) today as they used to. When I was in high school I recall a classmate having to go to a suburb about 30 miles south for FAA, because they weren't in our area.

o
Why farm?

I thought these were some good reasons.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.andrews.edu/~maier/why-farm.html

o

I grew up in a rural school district where most families farmed, and we didn't have FFA or FHA! I wish we had, though. We had 4-H and Scouts, and those were great activities!

o

I haven't heard of any FFA or FHA groups around here. At what age do the kids start those? My kids might still be too young for me to have run into the promotional literature. At our local fair, I can recal lots of 4H exibits, but don't recall any FFA ones. Are there any similar programs for kids who might be interested in forestry or fishing? Our state probably has significantly more people who do those than who farm. Fishing, like farming, is not just a job but a whole way of life. Forestry not so much, but it is more all encompasing than banking.

o
fccla is former fha

FHA is now called FCCLA--Family, Career, Community Leaders of America. You may find more information about them at their home page. You can find out the ages of enrollment in FFA at their home page.

o

I'm not really interested enough to bother researching it. It is probably pretty safe to say that FFA and/or FCCLA isn't as successful here as organizations like Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and 4H, although the title indicates it is a similar type of organization.

o

Are you interested in FCCLA? Find out about them at the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.fcclainc.org/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here