SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momma_bird_oh

Should I email the new teacher?

Momma_Bird_OH
21 years ago

Most of you know from my other posts that my oldest son has a mild disability (Sensory Integration Dysfunction). To look at him, he looks perfectly normal, and in most areas you wouldn't know he has a problem. However, it is pervasive, which means that most areas are not 100%, but he's not "bad enough" in any single area to be clear-cut disabled. It can be maddening until you study up and realize what the poor boy has to cope with every minute of every day.

He went to kindergarten at his preschool, and last year before he started 1st grade I wrote a one-page letter to the teacher breifly explaining his condition and suggesting some ways she could help him in class. She told me she really appreciated it and the insight it gave her into his performance and behavior. I mostly did it because he was changing schools.

I am considering sending an email to his new teacher - he's going into 2nd grade at the same school. She sent home a note at the end of last year with her email address and a list of school supplies. BUT, I'm wondering if it's appropriate since he isn't starting a new school. Can I depend on the 1st grade teacher "filling in" the 2nd grade teacher? Is it overkill to send her an email explaining SID? I would appreciate your insights and input.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

Sponsored